How can I stop Yahoo Mail from DEMANDING a new password?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by zapjb, May 26, 2016.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

How can I stop Yahoo Mail from DEMANDING a new password? Every time I log in YM is "asking" me to change my password. But there is no declining the ask.

Can I stop YM from this prompt? If so how?

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I don't know, and apologies if a non-answer reply is unwelcome. Do you know WHY it is demanding a change? I ask because one possible explanation is that Yahoo suspects or knows credentials were compromised (the accounts being asked and/or across the board).

3. fblais

fblais Registered Member

If you change the password, does it ask again the next time?
    I use Yahoo Mail and don't have this problem.
    Are you blocking Yahoo cookies?

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

This:
    Help us keep your account safe

Recently, there's been a rise in security incidents on the web. While we continue to work hard to keep Yahoo's network secure, we're asking users to help us keep their accounts safe.

No asking with no out YM is DEMANDING.

@fblais If you change the password, does it ask again the next time?
    I have a very complicated PW with all the symbols & very safe. I don't trust those pw managers at all. It took more than a few days to memorize it. If possible I don't want to change it.

5. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

when a site asks me to change password without a real reason I take it as a way of the site telling me its not confident in its own security, perhaps they have had compromised accounts e.g.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I just want to know if there's a way to not do this & stop receiving the prompt.

7. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

If you can't find a way you could change it and then change it right back. Maybe. That assumes the password isn't on a "persistent must change list" and there are no other policies against re-using a previously used password. You'd be rolling the dice even if you were successful. PITA or not: assuming your password has been compromised and just changing it for good arguably makes the most sense. Your choice, good luck!

8. fax

fax Registered Member

IMO, I would not keep the same password as a compromise may be the reason behind the request. The only way to know? Contact them...

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Not possible from the last 3x I was forced to change my YM password. I always got this pw is too similar/same as a previously used pw.

10. hawki

hawki Registered Member

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

POS YM I just changed my PW.

12. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

a finance site I tried to login today was refusing, then the page changed to say we have made updates to our login system please reregister your account, so all accounts were wiped o_O, another compromised site I guess.

Is hitachi finance.

13. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Only one of my four Yahoo accounts insisted that I change the password, so I think it was probably for good reason. However, there was no evidence of pwnage at https://haveibeenpwned.com/

14. AmigaBoy

AmigaBoy Registered Member

I am trying to change my Yahoo password, but it always reports: "Your password cannot include any part of your name". This seems like a common problem and I'm losing my patience with Yahoo (no part of my user name is in the new password of course, unless a common letter qualifies...)

yahoo errors.jpg

Update: After several retries and different passwords, it worked. Googling around revealed that a possible solution is to "Inspect Element" with your browser during the error prompt and delete the "div id=PasswordEntryError" part. Use at your own risk...

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  15. Muad Dib

Muad Dib Registered Member

zapjb, enable a conversation with me and I can give you a fix for future use (I may post it here, but I want to run it by you first).

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Go ahead & post it here if you will.

17. Muad Dib

I've had this issue with Yahoo as well. I have no idea if the required change was because of some specific threat or if Yahoo simply polls accounts that have kept the same password for too long (or it could simply be a random occurrence). But as long as you're willing to deal with the possible risk of keeping your existing password, there is a solution:

The trick is to create 5 sequential temporary new passwords (they can differ from your previous password by as little as one character). Then the 6th time you can revert back to your original password. You can do this all in a single session, you don't need to logoff then logon in between password changes.

So for example if your original password is ALPHABETSOUP, and Yahoo is demanding that you change your password, you can change it to ALPHABETSOUP1 then ALPHABETSOUP2, ALPHABETSOUP3, ALPHABETSOUP4, and finally ALPHABETSOUP5. After that you can change your password back to ALPHABETSOUP, and Yahoo will accept it. It's a minor pain, but (at least currently) it does work.

NOTE: The above technique does not work if your password is too simple and Yahoo is demanding that you make it more complex. In that case, you need to "complexify" your password. But after that, as long as your password is complex enough to begin with, the above method should work when it's demanding a change.

BTW, make sure your verification contact info is correct before you start the above. Changing passwords multiple times puts you at risk of making some mistake and not being able to properly log on. Then you'll need to have some valid external email address and/or mobile number already assigned to the account in order for you to receive the "reset code" needed to log back into your account.

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks. Next time my heads ready to explode cause I have 25 pw memorized & I'm "asked" to change a few within days. Btw I don't trust any pw managers. I might give the above a try.

When's the last time you tried this with Yahoo Mail?

19. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm guessing they will ask you this once a year or so. I also had to change my password a couple of days ago, it seems like quite a while back since they last asked to do so.

20. Muad Dib

About 2 weeks ago. I was searching for a solution and came across your OP. I didn't find an answer online, so I experimented and figured out that my method worked. BTW, I wanted to keep my current password because I share the account with a family member and they were out of the country (and their computer had the existing password stored). Now that they're back home I've changed the password (which I do periodically anyway).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  21. JDackNo

JDackNo Registered Member

I just changed my Yahoo password and no more demand, of course.

You can try to add idwtcmp before your current password...

idwtcmp = I don't want to change my password
    Easy to remember.

22. Linda Dee

Linda Dee Registered Member

Just did this and it absolutely worked. thank you

23. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

my opinion is if web services are enforcing changed credentials it means they either have been compromised or they suspect they may have been compromised.

steam is another weird one, every 2-3 months I am asked to verify my email address for no reason other than they not confident in their own systems without frequent verification.

24. Pedro Checa

Pedro Checa Registered Member

Hey guys, just signed up to this forum because i had the exact same issue, i tried something stupid and it worked for me, hopefully it will for you too.

so i went into yahoo mail same as you guys, i signed in and was asked to make my account secure and change my password (same as you guys), so when the new screen prompt me to put my NEW password, i simply typed my old password again. and thats it.

a screen apeared withe a succesful passworrd change and asking me to verify the rescue information such as other emails and my phone, i continued and thats it.

already logged back in to yahoo mail with no new password

hope it helps for you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.