How can I stop Returnil & Reinstall

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by pdevang, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdevang

pdevang Registered Member

I have successfully installed Returnil and used for couple of days. Yesterday suddenly computer shows the message RVSGUI.exe not found. RVS system stuck up in an active mode on 09/02/2010. I have tried procedure "System Safe is "stuck" in active mode (GUI may not be available due to damage caused by manual or third party uninstall attempts)" but failed mainly because,

1. I could not find “C:\Returnil\ RVSYSTEM.DAT” .

2. when I tried to install Windows Installer Clean Up Utility I received two error messages -(i) wscript.exe entry point not found and (ii) windows script host error code 8007007F "The specified procedure could not found"

I can not uninstall or reinstall Returnil. Please help me and suggest what shall I do because system is stuck up at 09/02/2010.

Thanks in advance for your kind help and suggestions.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello pdevang and welcome to the forums :)

Activate the option to show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer

Please try these and let me know if the information helps:

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/fo...ws-installer-cleanup-utility-fails-66866.html

http://www.winhelponline.com/articl...ng-the-Windows-Installer-Cleanup-Utility.html

Mike

3. pdevang

Thanks for your reply.

I tried all your advise. I deleted RVSYSTEM.DAT file and removed “Returnil Virtual System 2010” from “Windows Install Clean Up” utility. I tried to install rvs-home-lux twice , then installation could not be completed and below msgs are received "Returnil Vertual System2010 set up wizard ended prematurely because of an error your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time run set up wizard again"

&

"A prior uninstallation of a Returnil product did not complete properly. Please complete the uninstallation of this software and restarts your computer before installing."

What shall I do now?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  4. Coldmoon

Expect the first install to fail as the installer will be fixing the previous damage. Tray the install again and let me know the results.

Mike

5. pdevang

Ultimately I have successfully uninstall Returnil from my system. Now my system accepts updates and changes. Is it advisable to reinstall Returnil ?
    Need your opinion.

6. Coldmoon

Hi pdevang,
    From the discussion so far, I want to make sure you are completely aware of what RVS is and does:

Whether to use RVS is entirely up to you and should be dependent on your overall security strategy. I suggest doing a little more research into how RVS would fit within a targeted AND efficient strategy, what additional security solutions you think will maximize your goal (if applicable), and most importantly, how your chosen solutions will (or will not) work together.

Give the next build (should be available this week) an evaluation with the above in mind and take your "build up" slowly to review the changes and how your computer performs. To avoid any installation issues, try installing RVS first, test for performance, and then install additional security according to your strategy (no need to over do it here).

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.