How can I stop Acrobat reader?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Sometimes I click on what I *think* is a link to an interesting web page, only to discover that the link triggers the download of a huge pdf file. Up pops Acrobat reader, & I know of NO way to stop the download other than by killing the connection.

Is there a way? :doubt:

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi bellgamin, ;)

Disable plugins.

dog - *puppy*

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear bellgamin, have you tried closing Acrobar Reader from the task manager when it tries to load-up? it kills the application not the connection.

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi bellgamin....

I sometimes get that, simply hit Escape key couple of times. Or... simply close browser and re-open it. Unless you have a multiple TAB browser like I use.

If using IE you could try to change settings to open links in new window, annoying, but then at least you can close out of that window easily and still retain your original one. Just check IE's options, it's in there, somewhere to open new window when clicking on link.

Hitting ESC for me stops it dl, I then close that window [any links in page I have my browser set up to open in New TAB window, saves a lot to time going back and forth when following links.

TAS

5. bellgamin

@dog- Disable pluginso_O

@Tassie- I use K-meleon. Esc didn't stop it.

@AMRX- Yes! Killing the task works just fine.

My heartfelt thanks to all..... bellgamin

6. dog

dog Guest

IE set Active X and Plugins to prompt/ or disable ... (pic below) ... results in Browser Image (pic below) ... you can right click save target as ... and save and view offline.

Firefox ... (lower right of pic) .... I assume K-meleon would be simular to this as both are based of Moz 1.5 The IE browser results are the same with FireFox

Opera by default saves to disk.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2004
  7. bellgamin

@dog -- I see. Thanks for the explanation. Yes, K-mel has a panel quite similar to that which you showed for Firefox. However, there are times when I want to download a pdf & read it with Acrobat. Therefore, killing the task for UNwanted downloads is probably the better route for me.

Con mucho gusto....... el Gamino :-*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.