How can I start manually TrueImage from DOS

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tabarwette, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabarwette

Tabarwette Registered Member

I have a computer that it don't have CDRom Drive; only floppy. I already have a set of boot disk but it's too long to start TrueImage with all these floppy disks !

I find a way to boot acronis with only one floppy disk, but I need some informations to finish that. I boot with a floppy DOS 6.22 and I load my network card. After, I connect to my server where a directory is share and I can put TrueImage.exe to start with.

The result is that I have only one floppy disk and I can boot very quickly. The problem is that I don't know how can I start TrueImage from DOS. I know that if I create a disk with Bootable Rescue Media Builder it's OK, but I can't use these files to start Acronis.

How can I start manually TrueImage from DOS.

Please help me ! o_O

2. b_k

b_k Registered Member

what version of trueimage are you talking about?
    V 9.0 Home uses a Linux system for the bootable rescue media. No way to start it from DOS.

BTW: Does the PC you want to use TrueImage on support Network/PXE-booting? (you can look in the BIOS if you have the network card in the list of bootable devices or if you see something like "Press N for network boot" when your pc starts)
    If your PC supports network boot, i think i have a solution.

3. Tabarwette

Yes, I can to boot from the network. I'm interested for your solution.

4. whocrazy

whocrazy Registered Member

Hi there. I am able to do it, but you'll need a second hard drive, preferably fat32
    but first of all, you need to create an ms-dos startup disk (use the wizard built in to windows xp, do not use your old dos 6.x startup disks!)
    This is how I am able to do it
    I have an ntfs drive (drive c:) and a fat32 drive (drive d:) however, the dos will only see the fat32 drive and it will be allocated the letter of drive c:
    This is my backup drive where the image will be stored. You must have this type of arrangement, the true image command line and gui programs are too big to fit on floppies!
    Next, I put the gui program and the commandline version both on my fat32 drive, boot the ms-dos startup disk and then run them from there.
    Works like a dream.

5. Tabarwette

Where can I find the commandline version ?

6. b_k

b_k Registered Member

PXE-Boot TrueImage 9.0 Home tested with build 2337

You will need two files from your TrueImage Installation, kernel.dat and ramdisk.dat. For building a Network boot environment you will need also a TFTP- , a DHCP-Server and a bootloader (PXELinux).

now you need the following directory structure (i built it from the root-directory, but it doesnt matter where your tftpboot is, as long as the files inside of it are in place)
    pxelinux.0 is the bootloader, you need to download the syslinux package to get that one file from it.

Code:
    D:
      \
       tftpboot\
       | kernel.dat
       | ramdisk.dat
       | pxelinux.0
       \
        pxelinux.cfg\

tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default:
    Code:
    timeout 100
    default local

label ti9
    kernel = kernel.dat
    append initrd=ramdisk.dat vga=788 ramdisk_size=32768 quiet

label ti9-fs
    kernel = kernel.dat
    append initrd=ramdisk.dat vga=788 ramdisk_size=32768 quiet noapic acpi=off

label local
    localboot 0

For the server services you can use TFTPd32, which combines a TFTP- and DHCP-Server.

My TFTPd32 Setup looks like this:
    http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7291/tftpdsetup10ew.th.png
    http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/4153/tftpdsetup29yt.th.png

Don't forget to allow access to the DHCP and TFTP-Service in the Windows Firewall.

--

Links:
    http://www.wintotal-forum.de/index.php/topic,95706.0.html - german (here i found the boot options)
    http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php - Syslinux (bootloader collection)
    http://tftpd32.jounin.net - TFTP- and DHCP-Server

7. Tabarwette

Ok, the solution seems to be good, but my server is in production and I can't stop it everytime. I have only 30 minutes by weeks and the risk is hight if I work with partitions. I'll try that on my own computer.
    :cautious:
    But if we speak about the command line. Can I use TrueImage in command line ?
    o_O
    Or is it possible to load ramdisk.dat from DOS ? Why I need an other Kernel ?

8. b_k

b_k Registered Member

sorry, didnt know that there is a trueimage executable for dos.
    Anyway, what about stopping the server? i thought you needed a way to boot the rescue environment.

9. Tabarwette

Because we do a copy on an other HDD every week.

10. b_k

b_k Registered Member

If you run a production server how come you dont use hot-swap-hdds. Would make your life easier. You could backup from within Windows and would not have to reboot the server for imaging and changing the hdd.

11. Tabarwette

It's not a windows OS. It's QNX. It's not very easy to find a solution for this type of OS. My server is 4 years old and we don't have hot-swap-hdds. But I have USB ports. I'll check in the BIOS if I can boot from that. Maybe I could use it like a CDROM !

12. b_k

b_k Registered Member

If it can boot from USB chances are good you can either use Acronis Rescue Media Builder or the method i described in another thread to make a bootable USB-Stick or make your Backup USB-HDD bootable.

13. atifans

atifans Registered Member

To all:
    you can rename trueimage.run to trueimage.exe.
    it is a trueimage executable for dos.

14. whocrazy

Heya, dont complicate things. lol
    you need to download true image 9.1 enterprise server, that has the commandline dos interface in it.
    as I said before, it's too big to fit on a floppy.
    p.s: thanks for stealing my thunder, haha

15. Tabarwette

:thumb: Very good ! Thanks for the answer.

Results: I boot with my floppy disk DOS 6.22. I load my network card, I connect to my Windows Server and I start TrueImage. (I renamed TrueImage.run to TrueImage.exe). I use only one floppy and the process takes less than one minute !

I can post my floppy disk if someone need it ! :D

16. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Great tip atifans.

17. whocrazy

Hi Tabarwette.
    I am glad we were able to help you get it up and running.
    great stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.