How can I restore to larger partitions using TI8?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Skyhawk, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

I have the full purchased downloaded version of TrueImage 8.0. Burned a TI boot CD. Then I created an image backup of my "triple boot 80gig drive on IDE primary master" on to an external firewire hard drive. The partitions on the IDE master drive are C: D: and E:.

Then I replaced the 80gig drive with a brand new 120gig drive on the IDE primary master. My goal is to restore all 3 partitions to proportionally larger partions on the 120gig drive. The 120gig drive should end up with 3 partitions with no unallocated space.

Booted from the CD and went through the "Restore Image" procedure. I did not see any option to change the partition sizes. The restore worked great but the 120gig drive has 4 partitions. The C: D: and E: partitons are the same sizes as they are on the 80gig drive. There is a 4th unallocated partion.

The TI8 manual says there will be options for partition sizes in the restore procedure but I don't see that. What do I need to do to restore the triple boot image to 3 proportionally larger partitions on the 120gig drive?

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Skyhawk

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

It on Page 25 to 32, it takes a bit of going back a forth too each Partition but it becomes clearer each time, just make sure C: is set as Primary and the others Logical. If you still have any problems please come back.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Skyhawk

Hi Quest, thanks for the welcome and the help.
    Here's my problem. When I click "Restore Image", TI8 goes through steps

5.1 - Image archive selection
    .. I select the image file on the external firewire drive.

5.2 - Verify archive before the restoring
    .. I check No, I do not want to verify

5.3 - Select partition or disk to restore
    .. I check Disk-1 which automatically checks partitions C: D: and E:

5.4 - Select restored "disk" location
    .. Manual says "partition" location but since I checked entire disk in step 5.3, step 5.4 says "disk" location. I highlight the new 120gig drive.

Steps 5.5 through 5.9 do not occur!!!

5.10 - Next selection (restore another partition or disk drive)
    .. I select "No, I do not.

5.11 - Restoration script
    .. If I click "Proceed", the restoration proceeds.

Why don't steps 5.5 through 5.9 occur? It jumps from step 5-4 directly to step 5.10.
    5.5 - Select partition type
    5.6 - Select file system
    5.7 - Select restored partition size
    5.8 - Assign a letter to a partition
    5.9 - Check file system after restoring

When I click HELP > ABOUT, the version number is True Image version 8.0 (build 764). I'm wondering if the downloaded version is not the same as a retail box version that comes on a CD. This has happened to me in the past on other products. I downloaded TI8 only a few days ago so I guess it should be the lastest version.

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

4. TheQuest

Hi, Skyhawk

It is because you,
    You should check C: [Left click ON C: Partition with mouse] then Primary then it's size, it will then ask if you would like to restore any more Partitions say yes then do D: resize the again the E: resize. then, no more to add then proceed.

Take Care,

5. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

TheQuest,

As I recall when I restored my image to a new drive, TI also did not give my the option of resizing, but both drives were the same size so it did not matter. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that if you choose to restore the entire drive (instead of individual partitions), TI basically clones the image of the old drive onto the new drive as is, leaving any left over area as "unallocated". If you choose to set up individual partitions one at a time for restore, you will be given the option of resizing, etc., and then TI creates a script which performs the entire process at once.

6. Skyhawk

Hey Quest,

You are the man. Followed your instructions and my second attempt to restore is in progress now. I'm sure it will work the way I want it to.

The manual says there is a way to let TI8 automatically resize partitions proportionally to the smaller partitions on the original hard drive. I don't mind doing it manually per your instructions but just out of curiosity, would you happen to know how to let TI8 do it automatically?

Thanks for the help!
    Skyhawk

7. TheQuest

Hi, johnpd

Yes that is correct johnpd, sometimes you will not wont to restore all you Partitions, or you would like to make another Partition on a larger HDD in the unallocated space, or change your Disk layout.

I use Drive Cleaner [Acronis] to wipe my Partition [you can choose any Partition to wipe, you do not have to wipe the whole HDD] then I do a restore with no dross left on the unformatted part to restore to.

Take Care,

8. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

Thanks TheQuest,

I think Acronis needs a little clarification in their user manual. It is a little vague as to what happens when you select the entire drive.

9. TheQuest

Hi, Skyhawk

The bit you are talking about is I Clone Disk, where Ti's Clone Disk, proportionally shares the Partition to a new HDD, ie 80gb HDD three Partitions C:20gb D:25gb E:35 to new 120gb HDD C:40gb D:50gb E:70gb, or the other way 120gb to 80gb.

Glad I could :).

Take Care,

10. TheQuest

Hi, johnpd

Well yes you a right, but I think it is very hard to write a Manual to fill all needs and occasions.

Take Care,

11. Skyhawk

Quest,

The restore to larger partitions worked perfect and I can boot and run programs in all 3 partitions. Thanks!

One more thing. Though selecting each partition individually did allow specifying the partition size, it did not give the option described in step 5.9 of the TI8 manual which is "Yes, I want to check file system after the restoring". Is there a way to verify the 3 partitions on the restored drive to the image file on the external hard drive?

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

12. TheQuest

Hi, Skyhawk

I am not sure what you are asking, also I sorry to say i have not read Ti8's Manual only Ti's 6 & 7 Manuals. [where i can not see step 5.9 as they are not numbered]

But I if you mean can you verify the restored Partition Ti says if it was successful or not.

I you the Image you use Check Image.

Or you mean Ti' asking if you would like to verify the Image before it tries to restore it.

Take Care,

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

I will try to clarify the situation and the terminology you have used here.

First of all, Acronis True Image can create images and restore them, also it can clone the whole hard disk drives. Acronis True Image cannot clone images, cannot clone partitions. Please !note! that the cloning procedure and the creating/restoring images procedure are very different processes!

The process of restoring the whole hard disk drive from the image doesn't allow you to resize partitions. The process of cloning (you do know now that it can be only the entire hard disk drive) does allow you to resize partitions. The manual doesn't say that "there is a way to let TI8 automatically resize partitions proportionally to the smaller partitions on the original hard drive" when you restore the image of the entire hard disk drive. This option is available only when you use the "Disk Clone" wizard.

We will continue to improve User's Guide.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

14. Skyhawk

I'm asking if TI has an option to verify the restored partition against the source image on the external drive. An option to do that does not occur during the partition restore procedure. Wonder if TI7 has the option but it was deleted in TI8?

I am not referring to the verify image before it tries to restore it as that option does appear OK as described in step 5.2 of the TI8 manual "Checking image integrity before restoration".

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Dear Shyhawk,

There is no such function in Acronis True Image (both the 7.0 and the 8.0 versions). The only thing I can tell you is that if Acronis True Image did restore the image then it did it correctly. If there was an error during the restoration please contact support@acronis.com.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

16. Skyhawk

I thought step 5.9 of the TI8 User Guide "Yes, I want to check the system after the restoring" did that. As previously mentioned, that step does not occur during my restore procedure. Has that step been eliminated from TI7 and TI8? If so, maybe removing it from the User Guide would prevent users from spending hours trying to figure out what they are doing wrong.

I have no complaints about TrueImage's imaging and restore functionality as they seem to work great on my PC per my tests so far. I just wanted to verify that my restored system drive is 100% correct since it will be sitting on a spare drive in reserve in case my current system drive goes down. And I'm not sure if TI8 in free standing mode does a read verify after write.

Just to clarify what I'm doing, I created a disk image of all 3 bootable partitions of my system drive on an external firewire drive. Then I restored the image to a spare hard drive. That spare drive will sit on the shelf in case the original system drive goes down. I temporarily installed that spare drive in place of the original system drive to verify that it can boot from all 3 partitions and run at least one program on all 3 partitions. Then the spare drive went in a plastic bag and on the shelf.

Maybe adding an integrity verification for restored disks could be added to future versions of TrueImage.

Thanks for your help,
    Skyhawk

17. TheQuest

Hi, Skyhawk

Not flaming you but.

I think that you will fined that is already done.

Also Andrew
    Take Care,

18. TheQuest

Hi, Skyhawk

Glad they all resized and restored OK.

Take Care,

19. Skyhawk

Hi Quest, you helped me a lot and I appreciate it.

It's just that I know windows does not do read verify when writing for speed considerations and I suspect TI does not do it either. All the correct data may have been sent to the restored drive for writing but there could be marginal spots on the disk surface causing read problems when those areas are accessed later.

But I accept what Acronis tech support and you have said and I will not pursue the "verify integrity of the restored drive" any more. (But maybe Acronis could keep it in mind for a future release if it would be helpful... ;) )

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

20. TheQuest

Hi, Skyhawk

I see your point much more clearly now :eek:, skyhawk, may be Andrew will know whether Ti marks them as bad or not.

All comes clear with more posts and dialog. :D

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.