How can I move this #%&!* file?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I installed a program that put its shortcut folder onto my computer's Start list (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs). This shortcut folder has several files therein, including the one whereby to enter the registration code for the program.

I have already entered the registration code, & it has been accepted by the program. NOW I want to move this shortcut folder into another folder on the Start list so that it is in its proper category. However, when I try to move it I get the following pop-up . . .

ScrHunt01 26-Feb-11.gif

The inability to move this folder causes it to stand out on my Start list like a sore thumb. Every other shortcut is neatly placed within its own category except for THIS one shortcut folder, which insists on having a separate place on the Start list. I cannot delete the folder or move it. Rats!!!

Any ideas as to how I can move this obstinate shortcut folder to a different location?

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, hoping it wouldn't break any feature of the program to move it, have you tried taking full control/ownership on this folder in explorer with properties/security tab so you can do as you like? Does the folder appear to be locked and would a reboot perhaps resolve the lock?

3. bellgamin

Properties has no security tab on my computer (WinXP).

Reboot did not resolve my problem.:(

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Maybe some files are loaded/running even if the App isn't launched, thereby preventing moving ?

rats.gif

You could try uninstalling it and when you reinstall don't allow shortcuts to the Start menu. After it's installed find the Apps folder and Right click on it and create a SC then cut/paste into where you want.

Also you could copy/paste those files into the main App folder, then use Unlocker to delete the Start Up one, possibly on boot, then do the above ?

5. bellgamin

Thanks for the comments.

I was able to move the folder using GiPo MoveOnBoot program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.