How can I install another Linux Distro over the one I have?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cheater87, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I found out Fedora looks like windows and want to try it out. How would I install that over my Ubuntu oneo_O

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I was able to make Ubuntu and Fedora looks exactly the same. I choose GNOME as a graphical interface, then added GNOME/GTK theme + Emerald (Window theme manager). Also you can add screenlets ("Vista widgets") on both.

Actually Ubuntu is far easier to setup for this purpose, I think you should customize it instead of using Fedora.

Regards,
    gkweb.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would recommend you don't install Fedora also. If you had trouble with Ubuntu, Fedora will only be more difficult and more trouble as it takes much more tweaking to get everything working. Stick with Ubuntu.... or if you like KDE better, then try Kubuntu.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

As KDE evolves, i think it's less and less a matter of opinion, and more fact. KDE 4.2 is beginning to smoke everything else!
    Do try it for a day, use the programs properly, and hang on to your chair!
    Copy some random text and paste it wild on the Desktop!
    Try Okular, Kontact, Kate, explore them plasmoids, organize yer desktop.
    zomg! Things make sense :p

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Are there any distros out now with KDE 4.2 default? I have been a fan of KDE 4 since it first came out... I really like it. :thumb:

Edit: Looks like OpenSUSE 11.1 has a KDE Live CD with 4.2 on it. Good deal! :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. Arup

Arup Guest

Gimme the clean, uncluttered yet functional look of Gnome anyday, its stable which is very important, fast and works without anything fancy, enable Compiz and you will have eye candy as well.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I gotta say, this openSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.2 Live CD is really nice though. Just installed it to HD 2. Very very slick looking, no issues, fast install, auto-configured it all. I'm impressed. I like Gnome as well, however, I also like new things now and then, like KDE 4. Gnome hasn't changed in ages... This is very well done.... :thumb:

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 steady for the past 6 months, IMO it has nothing better than KDE.

The good about Linux is choice, you won't be stuck with something you don't like.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Gnome is about stability and usefullness, it doesnt' change, it provides a clean interface for those who would rather make their Linux productive. KDE is cutting edge, always has been but then it has come at a price of stability although they are improving in that direction as well. This is the beauty of Linux, its all about personal choice.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Frankly, I like 'em both.... ;)

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

As long as we can keep i civil, i think a bit teasing won't spoil it!

I think you're talking about XFCE or even Fluxbox! :D

12. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Give me a friggin break :rolleyes:

So KDE is unstable, useless, nonproductive ? :blink:

yeah your first hint is the two kicker panels that look like strips of masking tape :argh:

Ok I'll try my best :D

13. Arup

Arup Guest

My first Linux distro was SuSE 8, thats how long I have been using KDE, from time to time, I still try out the latest one. Its buggy, unstable and most of the crud that clutters the desktop hampers ones work anyways. The two tapes of GNOME manages to stay out of the way and only comes in when needed. Not one app crashes on Gnome whereas in KDE4xx, its a common occurrence and this kind of behavior is KDE default, open an app and you get a lock up, thankfully unlike in Windows, no OS lockup. KDE 3.5 is now a stable alternative to Gnome but in terms of speed, Gnome still rules. The reason is that Gnome just aspires to be a simple desktop with minimal requirements. If you don't have fancy powerful video card, turn off compiz and enable Metacity and have fun.

Anyways, to each his own, if you like KDE, enjoy and live with it. I will admit, its closest to Windows like so for many newbies, I recommend them KDE over Gnome as the initial blankness of Gnome can be a bit disconcerting at first.

I don't wish to start a war here, its all about choices and thats where us Linux users get to exercise it to the full.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it is all about choices... however, I don't find any of what you describe above in this openSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.2 desktop. It's not buggy or unstable, nothing crashes, and it's not cluttered at all, far from it actually. I find it pretty refreshing to be honest. But I will use it here for a while and let you know if the apparent stability is for real.

I have nothing negative to say about Gnome at all, I like it as well. I for one am glad there is the choice, with others in addition to these two also.

15. Arup

Arup Guest

Use both for a week, then come back to me. KDE is cutting edge so some rough edges is to be expected.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok.... and by the same token, give KDE 4.2 a spin.... see what you think of it now. :)

17. Arup

Arup Guest

I am on it.........beauty of Linux installation, I get to try out all the menu in the restaurant for the price of one.:)

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

No doubt, but they've been redesigning it with ver.4, as you know (the stability comparison has to take that into account), and while 4.2 is stable, my gut feeling is 4.3 will leave that discussion for dead.

Also note, some distro's mix KDE 4 with 3, and it's been reported as the cause to much of the "stability issues".

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, just to be fair and impartial, I do see bugs even after less than 1 day here on 4.2, just in everyday usage. Things that I don't see in Gnome for instance. So it's not completely "clean" yet, but on the other hand, it seems well on it's way to being something very good. I love the look n feel so far...

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Bugs or not, every step KDE takes is in the right direction and can only be good for Linux and Linux users in future so more power to them.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it's coming along nicely. I have been watching 4 since it appeared, and progress is being made. In time, it will become something great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.