How can I find the CLSID?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by billhunter, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billhunter

billhunter Registered Member

hi, I am a newbie of this. How can I find out the CLSID if I don't know? I want to block some Chinese website which contains lots of rubish but I didn't find out the way to get the CLSID. Thanks in advance.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey bill,

Perhaps I'm not understanding but knowing the CLSID will not block a site. If your wanting to restrict what a site can do when you browse to that site add that site to IE's Restricted Zone.

3. dak

dak Registered Member

Bubba's right that a CLSID won't allow you to block a website. In addition to Bubba's suggestion of placing the website in IE's restricted zone, you can block the website by adding it to a HOSTS file, DNSKong, Proxomiton, E-Dexters' PAC file or similar programs. Neither IE's restricted zone nor the HOSTS file require third party software.

The CLSID will allow you block the Active-X component the website may be trying to install on your system by setting the kill bit for it. Other than editing the registry manually yourself, this will require third party software, such as SpywareBlaster.

Basically, to find the CLSID you have to search the source code of the website and find its OBJECT tags. But just because you find OBJECT tags and CLSID value(s) in the source code it doesn't necessarily mean they are the "bad" ones, there are other factors to consider.

--
    dak

4. billhunter

Thank you both for your advice. maybe I didn't make me understood. Because sometimes I will browse some websites contain the IE plug-in which I hate. For fodbidden IE to install it or even prompt me to install it, I have to get the CLSID of the plug-in. My question is if I don't unknow and don't download the plugin, how can I find out the CLSID of it? I mean I want to design a program to forbidden the unknown plugin automaticly.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Bill,

Is this just one particular Chinnese web site your concerned with ? If so....do you mind supplying the link ?

6. billhunter

Hi Bubba, the websites are not only one and it's getting more and more which means I have to program it to add some unknown plugin. One of the worst websites is the plugin from www.3721.com

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Bill,

Unless I missed some....there were 3 ActiveX components that site wanted to install....2 cute Macromedia shockwave files and then one that is listed in SpywareBlaster's database(B83FC273-3522-4CC6-92EC-75CC86678DA4)....listed as CnsMin.

Having said that....I feel you might need to consider a different approach other than trying to locate all the CLSID's that are out there. I suggest if you are to continue using IE....which I personally have NOOOO problem using Securely....that you consider adding another program to your Security layer. Similar to SpywareBlaster....in the sense once the items are merged into the registry....the program does not have to be running in the background.

This program link---> IE-SPYAD: Restricted Sites List for Internet Explorer
    Also....3721.com is a site that is listed in IE-Spyads database....which means it would not have been able to install ActiveX component unless YOU let it.

One way to cover yourself for sure....which is the only way I surf....is place the Internet Zone setting to High. That in itself takes learning as much as possible about what all the settings mean....which is something most users will not spend the time doing. However....the day has come that individuals can NOT surf any longer as freely as we used to because there are just wayyyyy to many scumbag, love life, chicken liver PUNKS with nothing better to do making the WWW no longer as fun and innocent as it used to be :mad:

8. billhunter

Thank you very much for your help and suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.