How can I completely remove AntiVir?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TAP, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I uninstalled AntiVir Classic but Windows XP still recognizes it in Security Center, I re-instlled and uninstalled AntiVir but nothing happens, AntiVir Classic still remains in Security Center and when I installed eTrust Antivirus (my primary AV) Windows tells I have two AV and one of them is active.

So how can I completely remove AntiVir?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• an.gif
      an.gif
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
  2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

try to delete the registry keys and the AntiVir folder under Program Files

3. shek

shek Registered Member

CCleaner can clean the registry keys/values left by antivir.

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

5. TAP

TAP Registered Member

AntiVir Removal Tool for Windows is a malware removal tool, not the AntiVir itself removal tool and nothing else can help, the problem still remains. I downloaded the new AntiVir installer from its official site, re-installed and uninstalled it but AntiVir still remains in Windows Security Center while the AntiVir itself was uninstalled.

So what's wrong with AntiVir on my computer and how can I solve this annoying problem. :p

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• a.gif
      a.gif
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
  6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Assume you used Control Panel; Add/Remove, SpyBot's TeaTimer (or other antispy like Ad-Aware) would have to be off for success.

AntiVir creates a lot of Temps in D&S that you could confirm gone, or delete.

Search My Computer for AVIRA, AntiVir and H+BEDV in file names & contents, search your Registry (save a backup copy) for the same.

I used CP A/R to modify NSW to remove just NAV & NPFW and AntiVir 6 had a removal within its Program Group, MS now wants all of that in CP A/R.
    I had also monitored install with CleanSweep and used its Uninstall, but that can cause more trouble than it saves.

AVIRA has a removal aid tool for version 6 now, but don't think it would work for version 7.

7. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Hi Tap,

You have probably uninstalled Antivir completely from your computer, the problem you describe has occurred with other programs not purging the WFI repository correctly during the uninstall process. Although before reading your post I have not read of this particular problem occurring with Antivir. To correct this problem it is necessary to delete the WFI repository folder from your computer and them re-build it with the correct information. As this operation requires deleting a Windows operating system folder, be very careful to identify the correct folder before deleting anything!

In control panel click on Administrative Tools, then Services, from the list of services find Windows Management Instrumentation right click mouse and from dropdown list stop the service.

Find folder C:\windows\system32\wbem, inside this folder identify the repository folder and delete only this folder (the repository folder) from your computer.

In Administrative Tools find Windows Management Instrumentation service again, and re-start the service by right clicking mouse and pressing start from dropdown list. Restarting this service re-builds the repository folder database on your computer, which should now only contain information about your currently installed antivirus & firewall programs.

To reset the Windows Security Centre you must re-boot your computer, hopefully this will cure your problems

Thorny

8. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Thanks Thorny, problem solved by your solution.

I've installed many antivirus software (e.g. avast!, NOD32, McAfee, AVG) and now Windows XP can recognize installed antivirus correctly.

Thanks you guys for all helps. :)

Attached Files:

• avg.png
      avg.png
      File size:
      9.1 KB
      Views:
  9. kapla

kapla Registered Member

hmm same thing.. I cant uninstall AntiVir 6.26

First of all, the antivirus program is not on the Add/Remove Programs List.. so i cant uninstall it properly.. After a while, i delete the programs directory and files manually. Its all looking good until one file that cant be deleted. It is AVSHLEXT.dll. I also run a few registry cleaner program so to complete the manual uninstallation. So how to remove that dll file and erase AntiVir completely from my system?

Please help, thanks

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Have you tried the Removal tools.
    If the removal tool does not remove this file, you cannot delete in safe mode and you still see the message that this dll cannot be deleted or is in use/write protected, try renaming or deregistering AVSHLEXT.dll or try Unlocker.

12. kapla

kapla Registered Member

Hoila, guys.. It works ty ty ty :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah, Unlocker is easily deleted that AVSHLEXT.dll. NICE :D

But Blackcat, how to deregistering it on manual way, i mean without using any 3rd Party Software. Just a doubt

Man, i'm a lil bit afraid to try this one cos looks like it wipes out all the antivirus, spyware and firewall programs. heheeehee..

OK, what have i done was manually deleting the directory folders (shift+click) delete, using few registry cleaner programs to fix the registry values and the Unlocker s/w to remove the 'stubborn' DLL files. Now it looks like the AntiVir is gone from my system. How can I make sure that the Antivir is really gone from my system.. :rolleyes:

I have looked at Administrative Tools > Services, and there are no entries that resembles the AntiVir product. Do i need to run steps suggest by Thorny?

Thanks

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Erm, where did you see that? It never states that it'll wipe out all security programs. Read again...

14. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I was having the same problem with my security center.
    I tried the security center reset zip file and that didn't work, followed all the directions, remove firewall and anti virus, run in safemode.
    When I went to check the security center it still showed an AV ON and Firewall ON.

Next step, I followed the instructions left by Thorny (see post # 7).
    Worked like a charm, since my AV and firewall were already deleted from my computer the security center showed Firewall OFF and Virus Protection OFF.

15. kapla

kapla Registered Member

Where the security center located at? Is it a 3rd party program?

16. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

It in the 'control panel' - on Windows XP

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061210 Minefield/3.0a1 Firefox ID:2006121004 [cairo]

17. kapla

kapla Registered Member

Which one?

Whats this? o_O

18. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Its a pre-pre development version of Firefox 3.0 / Called Minefield. Its the daily updated version of Firefox that will become Firefox 3.0 sometime next year.
    I'm hooked on testing/using Firefox :)

19. peterstannard

peterstannard Registered Member

Just wanted to say thanks. This method worked for me.

20. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Hi Peter,

I am pleased the solution worked for you as well, I know at the time this little problem with the Security Center drove me into an obsessive craze until I found the answer!

Cheers,
    Thorny

21. peterstannard

peterstannard Registered Member

Yeh I was going crazy too lol. I have a new Dell laptop and they install loads of crap on at the start (inc Mcafee Anti Virus/Firewall), I had removed it all but Security Center was still detecting it which was stopping me from hooking up my laptop (with Media Center) to my Xbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.