How can I activate Browser privacy check?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by truthseeker, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Hi everyone,

When I checked my internet connection at pcflank.com , i passed the tests but not the browser check. It said:

Browser privacy check. Danger!
    The test checked if your web browser reveals any private information while you visit Web sites. Usually such information is: the last site visited, your locale and who your Internet Service Provider is.
    While visiting web sites your browser reveals private information about you and your computer. It sends information about previous sites you have visited. It may also save special cookies on your hard drive that have the purpose of directing advertising or finding out your habits while web surfing.
    Recommendation:
    We advise you to get personal firewall software. If you already have a firewall program adjust it to block the distribution of such information.

So my question is... How do I tell my firewall to block the distribution of such information? I am using Vista Firewall Control.

It calls it referrer. When you browse a web site, it can collect various data about you, such as the Internet address of your computer, your region, Operating System, browser type, browser version, etc. Your web browser automatically sends this information each time it locates a new web site. One of these data is the referrer, which is the location of the last site you visited. Sites keep track of this data, mostly in a general way for statistical data and marketing research. There is a growing concern that online privacy is being infringed. To safeguard your privacy we recommend getting competent firewall software to block your browser sending information about you and your computer.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are firewalls with such privacy control.

An easier approuch would be to use a browser with correct settings (or addons) to prevent such.

Simple example would be to use Firefox with control of cookies (tools /options / Privacy). You can set only trusted/known sites.
    There are also addon/extentions such as "Refcontrol" and "Noscript"

Of course there are other Browsers that have such options/extention, Firefox is just example.

Do be aware that a lot of legitimate sites require the use of cookies/referrers/script. So completely blocking can cause some problems on some sites.

3. truthseeker

I am already using Noscript, but I was not familar with Refcontrol. So I installed Refcontrol, which seems great plugin :)

THanks for that.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Edit the settings to block (Tools/ refcontrol settings), then try the browser test again.

5. truthseeker

Ok, I loaded the addon and chose options. I then selected:

Default for sites not listed: BLOCK - send no Refferer

And reloaded Firefox. But every website I visit seems to work normally. So what does that mean? :p

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Most sites will work with no problem even if referrer is blocked. If it is allowed, then referrers are set and can be viewed at sites you visit etc.

Go and try the "Browser privacy check" again with referrer blocked.

7. truthseeker

Ok thanks for explaining. Yet I am stilll a bit confused. Can you explain to me in basic and layman terms, what exactly does referr stop? What exactly is a referrer?

And what exactly is Forge?

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

9. truthseeker

What "Browser privacy check"?

10. truthseeker

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

From your first post

12. truthseeker

I understand now, thanks. It mainly blocks the website I was on just before I visit another website, so they cannot see what website I was visiting before I visited them. That's about it, right? Or have I misunderstood?

Why didnt wilderssecurity allow me to make a post with refferer blocked?

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Basically yes, but they can also be used to trace your activity over a period of time (as with cookies).

Probably just for re-direct of post to correct thread etc,.. but admit I do not know specifically.

I just set the sites I know/trust (such as here) to allow cookies/referrer/script. These are cleared when I exit FF

14. truthseeker

Where do you set sites you trust to allow cookies/referrer/script? Somewhere in FF?

By the way, I chose FORGE, so that way their own website is only shown :)

15. truthseeker

Ok, I tried the browser check again at PC Flank, and this time it said:

Referrer check - PASSED- Safe!!! While visiting web sites your browser does not reveal private information (called 'referrer') about previous sites you have visited.

Thank Stem for all your help. :)

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

For cookies:- Tools/ options / Privacy ~ cookies: Exceptions
    For referrers: Open the refcontrol options and "Add site"
    For script (no script): You can simply add a site when you visit (left click the icon, select allow (or temp allow). You can open noscript with a left click on icon which will show you a list of sites allowed, you can add/delete sites there

17. truthseeker

Thank you Stem for all your help this morning. I deeply appreciate it :)

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Your welcome,

But it is 10:40 in the evening here in the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.