How bad is it?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by msingle, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msingle

msingle Registered Member

I've heard great things about TDS3. My only concerns are, that since I'm new to the whole AT idea, that it will be to hard to set up properly (and we know if security tools aren't set up properly they do little good) and the resource hit that everyone talks about.

The resources is the biggest concern as I'm running Windows 2000 with 128 MB RAM on a PII 400 MHz with NAV and ZA free running all the time.

Opinions?
    Thanks.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi msingle, TDS3 is an "on demand" scanner when you do a full scan using TDS3 it does use considerable CPU time but scans can be as simple as right clicking on a downloaded file, this are completed in the blink of an eye. Scans can be by directory or more or less what you require.

TDS3 has one element that can be installed to run all the time this is called "execution protection" basically what it does is look at each file as it is called to check for Trojanic behaviour, again this does have a VERY small impact on resource.

In it's as installed state i.e. basic configuration TDS3 will give excellent Trojan protection & the configuartion to add more protection is usually just ticking a few boxes - the help file is considrerable with the added bonus of this & the private TDS3 operators forum, most people feel at home in a very short while :D

As a bonus there are many other useful utilities & plugins which you can learn about & use whilst knowing that you have the best Trojan protection available.

Try it !

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Msingle,you are considering TDS-3?I have had it since late last year.I was a bit intimidated by TDS-3 myself.It does have a lot of utilities and plugins.It's not that bad though.I haven't had any bad experiences with it.I installed it when I had 128mb RAM(Windows xp home edition)and I never had any problems with resources. I found that there are a lot of things that I can do with TDS-3 and I'm not an advanced user by any means!The configuration post in this forum helped me a lot.The support from DiamondCS and it's users helped me also.I installed it and was impressed with what I could do with it.That sold me right away!! Read the help files and ask questions here.Try it out and if you do purchase it,there is a private forum that has a lot of expert advice One thing that I noticed about this program is that it has updates available almost daily.The tips displayed when it runs are a learning tool for me.You can configure scanning so many ways.I got comfortable with TDS-3 and it has been a valuable security program for me.

4. linney

linney Registered Member

A couple of years ago I found TDS-3 the same way you did, by noticing that it was held in high reguard by many knowledgable users. Since purchasing it I have used it as a set and forget trojan scanner only updating almost every day with the latest trojan (radius) definitions file.

It has many extras but you can learn about them in your own time.

Once the basic configuration is set there is not much else to do (see the top of this forum section). You just select what you want to scan and away it goes.

The support from TDS is second to none. This forum and the private forum are direct lines of communication with the makers of TDS. You also have email assistance for private requests for help.

My advice to you is to try the trial and see how it goes.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Linney has quoted what I would have said. :D :D

TDS3 is as simple or as complicated as YOU want it to be.

When I first got it, [after paying/registering] I "installed" the Execution Protection [it means it scans in REAL TIME EACH executable you open, verrry quickly] and then I just left it alone, apart from UPDATING EACH DAY [except weekends here in Australia].

Then gradually, I learnt a bit more and read the extensive Help file several times to grasp its awesome array of tools it has in its arsenal.

BUT, you do not have to use any of them if you don't, simply not necessary as "out of the box" it's set up fine to catch trojans.

I promise, once you first see that screen pop-up, you will *just know* you have a ripsnorter [as we say in oz] of a program. :)

Cheers, TAS

edit: Your system resources would be fine, as long as you dont try using any program while it's doing a Full System Scan. I run Win2K PRO SP3; AMD 900Mhz; 256Mb RAM.

I would consider upping the RAM maybe, but it should be fine under those conditions. TDS by default [I *think*] has Process Priority [NT platforms] Boosted, meaning it's running under High Priority in your running processes, so if trying to run any program while it's doing a full scan, TDS takes priority.

edit 2: Yes, look at the top thread what works with TDS3, and see some lists of programs others and I have posted as to what runs with it without problems.

Attached Files:

6. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Registered Member

Well, a couple quick comments...

1. Check around for the various tests, you will see that TDS-3 ranks at the top

2. Yes, it has lot of bells and whistles but as stated before you don't need the for the base use.

3. Finally, if you do need help, unlike a lot of companies, you won't have to deal with a faceless customer support. You can post here and get answers from knowledgeable users as well as the proverbial "horse's mouth" as we say in The States;)

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wow, so much t i would have liked to say has been written already :)
    Remark on the image: i have ALL options checked and accept it takes some time, and i surely would not like to do without the friendly greetings :D
    ZA, i don't know which version you have and how much RAM it takes:
    i noticed with my ZAPro the 3.5 takes only half of ther 3.0... and i'm quite happy with that, running 128 RAM as well on an even slower system (win98se), so don't worry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.