How are you primarily using FirstDefense-ISR?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Leapfrog Software, Jan 25, 2006.

?

How are you using FirstDefense-ISR?

1. High Availability/Disaster Recovery

71.6%
  2. Software Development

12.5%
  3. Beta Testing/Sandbox

48.9%
  4. Optimized Build for Gaming

17.0%
  5. Optimized Build for CAD, Video Editing, etc.

8.0%
  6. Multiple Builds for Multiple Users

9.1%
  7. Multiple Builds for Multiple OS's

11.4%
  8. Other (please post)

6.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

SPM, In post #6 you say that you were doing a snapshot anchored with 20GB of data, and 15 minutes into it the estimated run time was 3 hours. You might have hung around, because as I was doing an almost identical snapshot with 18.5 GB, it also said 3 hours early in the snapshot. But as the snapshot progressed the estimated time changed a few times until it finally finished in 1 hour.;)

2. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

I am trying a trial version of FirstDefense and have made the first copy. However I did not see options for selection of a disk partition or external disk to make a copy to.
    In fact I don't know where the copy is housed now. Would I have a choice of where to make my copy in the licenced version?.
    Thanks for your help.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I assume you are talking about copy/update from one snapshot to new snapshot.
    All created snapshots are stored on the same partition, where FDISR is installed, which is usually partition [C:]
    Only archived snapshots can be stored on another partition.

If you want to create an archive and you want to select a partition, use the function "Export Snapshot".

4. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Thank you EricAmbler.

I do not have an Export option anywhere on my menu. There is no indication where my 18 GB image is stored. Original took 1hr 45min to make, the only update (.71GB) took 7 minutes. The log says everything was completed successfully.
    The only folder I can find on C:\ is %ISR, but it is only 18 MB. It was also recorded simultaneously on USB drive J:\, without my intervention.
    I cannot find any trace of FirstDefense in my Program Files, or anywhere else on my drive C.

5. ErikAlbert

Tell me first which FirstDefense-ISR you are using.
    FirstDefense-ISR PC RESCUE or FirstDefense-ISR ? There is a huge difference between both.

If you are using FDISR PC RESCUE and you want to boot in the Rescue Snapshot
    1. Click on "Actions"
    2. Click on "Boot to Rescue Area" and you will boot in the Rescue Snapshot
    OR
    Press the F1-key during reboot in the Pre-boot screen.

FDISR PC RESCUE has only two snapshots Active and Rescue.
    The Active is your work snapshot for daily use.
    The Rescue is for saving the Active, if the Active is in trouble.
    The icon in the system tray will tell you in which snapshot you are.

These are the manuals of FDISR PC RESCUE
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/323511.ihtml
    Download them and read them.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  6. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Hi EricAlbert,
    First of all I apologize for mangling your name. Secondly I am grateful for your continuing interest and help. I have the FirstDefense PC Rescue, the trial version when licensed costs $39.

Perhaps I expected something more complicated. I take it that the only way to access your archive is to boot into it. I take it that you will automatically boot into the latest update. I will study the manual to understand the product better.
    Once again thank you for your help.

7. ErikAlbert

In FirstDefense PC Rescue you don't have archives, you only have two snapshots : Active and Rescue.
    You have to keep your Rescue healthy and malware-free with your security softwares. Each time when your Active is in trouble, you can save it with your Rescue by using the F1 key (Pre-boot) and copy/update from Rescue to Active.
    In a normal situation you copy/update from Active to Rescue to keep your Rescue up-to-date every day, but run your scanners first.

You can also test new softwares in Active, if you want to get rid of them, boot to Rescue and copy/update from Rescue to Active and boot back in Active and the tested softwares will be gone completely as nothing happened.

Read also about "anchoring", you can reduce the size of your Active and Rescue this way.
    I hope this helps.

PS: the terminated FirstDefense-ISR was more complicated, but FDISR PC Rescue is quite simple and very practical once you understand how it works.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  8. raakii

raakii Registered Member

For using multiple config for differnt users i find FD-ISR irreplaceable.I use imaging in normal use for disaster recovery.

9. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

FD-ISR is being used for High Availability/Disaster Recovery and Software Development.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I been using FD-ISR ( Classic ) also but not exclusively as an imaging program although that wasn't it's intended purpose, but it operates strikingly similar to restoring an image app per it's archives flexibility that converts back into a working system again (snapshot), complete with all files/folders/settings totally intact.

This makes it an invaluable resource and a most reputable compliment as a surragate replacement for the imaging app i normally use, DriveSnapshot.

LEAPFROG jumped well ahead of the common technical curve when they designed it in such a manner from which it was first distributed, and it remains to this day unmatched! :thumb:

EASTER

11. icr

icr Registered Member

I am new to FD-ISR I mostly use for beta testing security applications and another snapshot for Gaming(with no AVs and other security softwares installed)

12. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

I use it mainly as a testing area for new software- if something goes wrong, like programs not playing together nicely, I can reboot to a clean snapshot.

13. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

here is for "just in case" system run on same snap for long time , Fdisr is if something goes wrong , for testing software i use Eaz Fix which is faster and can EASY hold lots pf pc state for me to test :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.