How are you primarily using FirstDefense-ISR?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Leapfrog Software, Jan 25, 2006.

?

How are you using FirstDefense-ISR?

1. High Availability/Disaster Recovery

71.6%
  2. Software Development

12.5%
  3. Beta Testing/Sandbox

48.9%
  4. Optimized Build for Gaming

17.0%
  5. Optimized Build for CAD, Video Editing, etc.

8.0%
  6. Multiple Builds for Multiple Users

9.1%
  7. Multiple Builds for Multiple OS's

11.4%
  8. Other (please post)

6.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Dave

I agree with Acadia, don't see why you'd ever reinstall Windows. Couple of points.

1) I still disable the preboot on FDISR when I image. This removes it from the MBR so the MBR is clean on the image. I don't think it's necessary, but I give imaging all the help I can.

2) Kaspersky. I'd renew. First I've been using Kaspersky 5.0 with FDISR with no problem. THe only thing is if you have KAV 5.0 already installed and have IStreams turned on, you will need to remove KAV and the ADS's. Then install FDISR, followed by KAV 5.0 with Istreams turned off. Works fine. BUT, there is even better news. I've been beta testing KAV 6.0, and it no longer uses ADS, but a data base. Fine with FDISR. I am loving KAV 6.0 because with the new Iswift technology once I've done my first scan which takes sligthtly over an hour, subsequent scans take about 5 minutes. They are very very close to releasing 6.0

Hope this helps.

Pete

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I still use Symantec's Norton AV 2006, but Peter2150 has just about converted me to KAV...I will probably wait until I see version 6 to make my decision. Two softwares that I've remained loyal to are Zone Alarm and Norton.
    I do not follow DCS any more. Until they do something that attracts my attention, I have written them off. In my opinion, you are wasting time considering FDISR as it should already be a critical part of your system. If you haven't looked at Image for DOS / Image for Windows you should seriously consider these Terabyte Unlimited products as well. Raxco and Terabyte Unlimited are two quality software companies. Good luck!!!

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

AMEN !

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I just noticed that Leapfrog joined the Wilders forum (I admit I have not been around much lately :rolleyes:). I use just about all products from companies hosting their support forum here at Wilders, and have found all to be very good. So naturally I wanted to see what FD actually does.

dallen - Hello again. :)

Like you, I use Acronis TI, but I have found it to be very trustworthy. What does FD do that TI does not? They sound very similar. From what I've read, it sounds like having both would be backup overkill (if not incompatible).

Thanks.

5. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Are DCS still around because I haven't heard anything from them for months now. Have they gone out of business?

Dave

6. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Hello Dazed_and_Confused. It's nice to see you here again. Regarding Acronis TI, I think that I haven't made myself clear. As a point of clarification, I do not use Acronis TI and never have. Not to take anything away from Acronis because I cannot speak intellectually about it, I use FDISR in combination with Image for Windows/DOS. Image for Windows/DOS has been criticized for its simplicity; however, I'm a simple kind of guy and I feel it's a shame that a software without all the bells and whistles that simply does what it claims to do and does it very well, suffers in reviews because of it. Regardless of what imaging software you use, it is my educated opinion that FDISR, as a virtually instantaneous recovery program compliments imaging software to not only provide redundancy, but rather to reduce recovery time in the event of a mishap. You would be wise to add FDISR to your arsenal. [Disclaimer: sorry if my spelling is off, but www.webster.com seems down right now and I suck at spelling]
    Dave, the topic of this thread has nothing to do with DCS. Please do not take this as a scolding. I just want to respect the structure of the forum. You know that I respect you very much, as we've exchanged similar thoughts on the topic of DCS. I will reitterate a point I've made in other threads in saying that I consider DCS not to be a going concern until they prove to me otherwise and it doesn't look like they are are on any sort of vector to do so.

7. worldcitizen

Dallen,

I always read carefully what you say about anything Dallen because you have a VERY good habit of looking into things with your own mind and will give as impartial a judgement as we can get. You call a spade a spade and do not beat around the bush and I have time for people like that. People who show honesty and frankness are rare nowadays. We get nowhere without a questioning mind.

I have a problem which I need you advice. I have First Defense ISR on my desktop uinstalled. I've made an image with True Image as it has always saved my bacon except once when my memory was faulty.

My problem is that I'm very keen to install FD but concerned about booting issues if I forget to uinstall it before restoring a True Image. I am very simple and sometimes if I can't get into Windows I'll just go straight for the image and restore. I forgot once with Goback and re-installed Windows and it cost me $55 at the time to get Windows to boot. So if I install FD and forget to uninstall it and restore an image from TI will I be able to boot or will my pc be caught in an infinite loop?

Best Regards

Dave

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Dave,
    Thank you for your kind words. It's people like yourself that appreciate my presence here that motivated me to stick with this forum through times when I felt less then welcome. Thank you.

Regarding your hypothetical, to be honest you have asked a question that I cannot answer with certainty. I really cannot speak about Acronis; however, I have read in this forum from people smarter than myself that have commented on using FDISR with imaging software. What has been said, and seems to make sense to me, is that with FDISR installed you would want to simply disable the pre-boot prior to taking your baseline image. That will remove FDISR from the MBR. This step seems unnecessary, but safer.

Dave, I would get FDISR if I were you. When you do, you should install it, then disable the pre-boot and take a baseline image. Once you have that image. I would immediately try restoring the image to verify that it is good. If you can I would keep both an image before the installation of FDISR and one after. Once you have confirmed that you have good images then you should be safe. From there I would image periodically and begin using FDISR's snapshot functionality as a primary system recovery. Literally, instead of having to utilize your images to recover your system, you will simply hit a few keys and you'll be up and running. Of course, you will always have your images just in case.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Exactly. With FD, and the other instant recovery programs, you should never even need to use TI except in event of total hard drive failure. With that one exception, hard drive failure, all of the instant recovery programs that I am familiar with do the job of recovery faster and more reliably that the traditional imaging programs. :cool:

Acadia

10. Peter2150

Hi Dave

I have have trashed my system about as badly as one can. For example having to do a power reset while running a registry cleaner. UGH. Also once did such a great job that I couldn't even get into safe mode. First Defense made recovery a 5 minute exercise.

I would follow Dallen's advice and disable preboot whenever you image. The support folks say it isn't necessary, but I would still do it. Just remember to turn it back on. Other than that the only impact on imaging is it takes a bit longer because you have extra files.

Also note you can use First Defense as an additional backup option.

and finally I have to tell you Raxco and Leapfrog combined provide terrific support.

Pete

11. worldcitizen

Dallen,

I've got a note on my desktop that says 'Install FD' so I better get around to doing it since you all say it's that good.

Can I keep snapshots on another hard drive? I heard that this is a new option that's been added, is this true?

Same here Dallen. This is a great forum because there are so many other products to learn about. I used to get upset about a 'certain dead horse' so I've decided to stop flogging the dead horse and bury it instead. That way the air is less polluted and the animal lovers will leave us alone.

Cheers

Dave

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, it's true and it works great, but please note that these snapshots are NOT bootable; can only be used for backing up and updating.

http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/updates.cfm#FDISR

Acadia

13. worldcitizen

Acadia,

I don't understand. FD can't use the snapshots if they are on another drive?

Dave

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You can use them in every way except booting into them. For example, if you wanted to backup your primary but did not want to use your regular hard drive, you can create the backup onto another hard drive; FD calls these "Archived" Snapshots. If you muff up your Primary Snapshot and need to fix it, and you want to use the Archive that you created, you would need to jump into a third snapshot.

An example of this: You have three Snapshots total. One is your Primary that you always use. A second one that you also created on your regular hard drive you have named Secondary. Finally, you create a third Snapshot on another hard drive and you name it Archive of Primary. Suddenly you muff up your Primary Snapshot so badly that you cannot even boot into it. You now boot into your Secondary Snapshot and from there you use the Archive of Primary to update and recover the Primary. Now you can boot back into the completely fixed Primary.

One nice thing about using the Archived Snapshots on another hard drive is that updating and recovering goes much faster since you now have two hard drives instead of one doing all the work. Good luck.

Acadia

15. worldcitizen

Arcadia,

Thanks. Is there any way your post can be made a sticky for reference?

Also, what about RAID? Can FD handle that? I never use RAID because one disk error and I lose everything but if FD can restore a RAID array then I might go ahead and create one.

Thanks

Dave

16. Peter2150

HI Dave

I am using First Defense on my laptop which has a raid 0 configuration. Works like a champ. I'd just be sure you have a good raid setup.

Pete

17. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Dave, FDISR works under RAID. FDISR, will cause you to think about your system entirely differently. You will become fearless and you will not hesitate to experiment. You will regain control over your system.

18. worldcitizen

Hi Dallen,

That sounds great. I've always refrained from using RAID because the one time I used it a disk error lost all my data and so I never bothered with it again but I would rather avail myself of technology that can improve my disk speed.

Dave

19. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Personally,
    I've found RAID to work well. I will caution you, however. If you are thinking about installing FDISR, archiving a snapshot to an external hard drive, creating a RAID (either 1 or 0, it seems that you are contemplating RAID 0 which is what I prefer), then installing Windows, installing FDISR, and finally attempting to restore your system by using that archived image; I do not know if that will work. Based on what I've read, I think it will but with a caveat. You may need to re-activate certain software, including but not limited to Windows, Office, Anti-Virus software. Then again, it may not work because I've never done anything like that, nor have I read about anyone successfuly doing such a thing.

20. worldcitizen

Peter,

What I meant when I asked whether FD worked with RAID was whether you could boot from the other snapshot if your primary got corrupted like you normally would using FD except that your using RAID.

Dave

21. Peter2150

You sure can. I've trashed the laptop along with my desktop. The raid 0 on the laptop was not an issue. FDISR works fine.

Pete

22. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Enough with the questions Dave...just buy the damn thing and install it!!!

23. worldcitizen

Is it compatible with NOD 32.

I bought it and only have to install it. Any suggestions as to what things I should do on first installation?

Dave

24. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Peter2150,
    Can you help my friend Dave? He's asking good questions that i do not know the answer to. I would like to help you with that Dave, but I have no experience with NOD32.

25. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yes it is. and the first thing to do after first install is create a snapshot. it will lead you right through it the first time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.