How are changes determined?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kronhead, Dec 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kronhead

kronhead Registered Member

Am I correct in thinking that changes, for an incremental or differential back, are determined by looking at the latest backups in the backup location being used for the current backup? That is, if I have two different backup locations, and do backups at different times, then the incremental or differential backups will be different, based on the prior backups it uses to find changes?

I ask because the documentation tends to say "changes since the last backup" - but I think it is really "changes since the last backup in the current backup location." A newer backup in a different location has no impact.

I know some software uses modification date, or the archive attribute, or other techniques to determined if a file should be backed up. I just want to make sure I understand how TI works.

Thanks
    Dan

2. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

That is correct.

At the same time, my understanding is Acronis determines changes by changes in sectors on the hard drive - not changes to the files themselves. For example, if defragging moves a file around, Acronis will see it as a change and will backup it up again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.