how annoying is comodo suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what i mean is i know someone looking for a good overall suite with everything included they dont want to run different apps. but they know very little about how to answer pop ups for things like hips etc.. so how annoying will comodo be? im looking for a free good overall suite for them. any thoughts. or anything else you can recc free suite wise if there is anything decent for free lol.. i tested the fortinet suite but way to many fp's for them to have to deal with. also no avg they do not like avg at all (and want a suite)

thanks

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

IMO comodo will drive you nuts with the pop ups, just my 2 cents...

3. guest

guest Guest

The lastest version of comodo have few popups and after use it for a couple of weeks maybe you can get 1 or 0 pop ups each week.
    I think that for a newbie dont should be very difficult answer the popups, pe. if he is installing msoffice he shoudl click allow in all the popups after read it and if he is using firefox and he donwload a extrange programe and want to install it he must be more cautious.

Anyway you can disable the hips and just use the firewall and the antivirus

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

That's a tough one.

I know it's not what you asked for, as that is a wish many are waiting for, but I'd go a free AV (say avast! for example) and something else with clear alerts, that is, if you ever see the alerts (ThreatFire for example).

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I haven't used Comodo for a while, but I seem to remember that the alerts can be significantly reduced depending on how it's configured. However, the more important issue IMHO is the comparatively weak AV. Currently there is no free "suite" that is adequate. OTOH a mix of separate free products can do the job just fine.

6. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

One of the most newbie-friendly suite I know of is PC Tools Internet Security.

Note well though what I'm not saying.
    I'm not saying it's the "best" or the most effective. It is pretty darn good though.

Most of the time, for most people, you'll never hear or see anything (except update and scan notifications), even from the firewall.

Provisos:
    It works best with plenty of RAM i.e. at least 1GB for XP.

It's not usually free (unless you can get a free 12-month subscription from a magazine e.g. PC User in Australia)

7. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I agree.

I would go down the route of one of the other higher rating free anti virus applications ... untill Comodo's catches them up. And catch them ye mighty Comodo shall!. The Comodo firewall is slightly above the average suite using user capability ... mentality even - people that go for suites just want simplicity - IMO. I can't remember the setting to really quieten down the pop up alerts. I know on the Comodo forum they go quite deep into ways to reduce all the hassles you might have. I have used Comodo and it has quite a steep learning curve. Just my opinion, of course.

But, please say a little prayer for the good guys at Comodo every night before you go to bed. I'm sure the power of our collective thinking can help them achieve the goal of ridding the world of computing ills.

Tally Ho!

8. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Oh boy! Nothing wrong with Comodo I use it daily and use it like I am doing right now offsite. Popups are only appears when it detects something new but still better to know what's going on then to be a blind about things. Installers are treated differently. Since there is a installer mode and safe mode. I find the firewall with defense active just fine. I use both Rising Internet Security 2009 on some systems and Comodo with Defense and AVIRA PE on the others. Comodo offers very good protection even better than Rising Suite or Rising Personal Firewall. Though Comodo Firewall does go beyond the norm of protection still great free software. I won't use the Anti-Virus module though I feel that's the weak part of the suite though.

9. roban

roban Registered Member

Not as annoying as BitDefender but annoying nonetheless. I opted for ESET.

10. zfactor

anything else thats very quiet in a suite. this is something i need to be able to recc to people who just dont want to or are not willing to pay for a av but want and or need a full program. the reason i ask is this was to be used for someone who is around 75 years old and who wants something that she really doesnt ever have to deal with. i would like to get her to use the nis2009 honestly as it i feel is a pretty decent all around program and it very very quiet but i can not convince her to but it. she just will not spend the money on "something like that" but she is a close freind of ours and i hate to see her go without anything at all..

please no a vs b here just simple question of which is a quiet and easy to use program thats all ..

thanks

11. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

In other words she is mobile with a laptop or something and thus in great need of a software FW?

12. zfactor

she goes to places like starbucks, to her daughters, etc.. yes she uses a laptop and does move it around. so a software firewall is i think a good idea if nothing else

13. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Maybe COMODO with only FW and in "Parental Mode" (Unknown-default-deny) + MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) with predefined actions (Severe: Remove, High: Remove, Medium: Quarantine, Low: Quarantine).

Other than that... first-layer prevention through MVPS HOSTS File and OpenDNS.

If she doesn't install new software I guess policy-based protection might be an option too (e.g. LUA, SandboxIE, etc.).

Hope this helps! :)

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

15. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hi zfactor;

Along with use of a Limited User Account and SRP when in less secure locations, I like the combination of Avast (free), PC Tools version 5 firewall (over version six as of now because it's a more proven application), and sandboxie (free).

You might also consider adding Returnil (free).

I have run this combination, minus Returnil, and found little impact on system resources.

The PC Tools firewall keeps notifications to a minimum and is very configurable.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Under the circumstances why not just use the Windows firewall and a free AV like Avast?

17. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

:thumb: +1

18. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

comodo was hell to me! but i tip my hat off to there forum support they really helped me in fixing my computer

19. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

I tried the 3.9 version when it came out of beta.
    To be honest the pop-up's were much reduced,in Defense+,
    with the tutorial by "Kyle",I found on their forum.
    I hear all sorts of comments about how "light" it is,but in terms of
    pure numbers I did not see that.
    (Although to be honest, when when you consider a suite,something I have never really dealt with,perhaps it is "light")

With Comodo it is the "intangible factor" that just made me uncomfortable.
    There was a recent thread on Wilders, about the "feeling" of security.
    I just do not have that with Comodo,as I do not trust the company nor it CEO.

Remembering my noob days,(not that I have progressed that far),I was intimidated by the pop-ups generated just by the Comodo firewall,(pre-Defense+),but as I say it has improved.
    Try it and see if your party can work with it.
    If not,it is just an uninstall and an hour or so in regedit to ferret out all of the Comodo that is left over.
    Then you will know one way or the other.

20. zfactor

i unstalled a "test" copy of windows and then the suite. it really was no to bad imo. but in testing a number of nasties i have here and just for the heck of it running around and checking some more not so nice places i got only one virus alert when i know for a fact many of the files i threw at it were in fact virus'. so as stated it seems to be a decent program but the av is lacking still i feel as well as others seem to.

she does not want a million different things running to do 3 separate apps. we tried that and it drove her crazy with all three popping up at times. personally i very much dislike the win built in firewall myself but i will see if thats something she may be interested in..

21. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

i think comodo without defence+ or set to low popups or something wouldnt be too annoying, but meh im not sure how good the antivirus is :doubt:

22. Frencho

Frencho Registered Member

I'm a newbie but I found Comodo very easy to use. I chose the antivirus default configuration (didn't install the firewall) and the whole thing was very unobtrusive, popups only appearing when installing or uninstalling something.

But what I found irritating was the high number of false positives. Every day I would get a couple of warnings about infected files, mostly uninstallers. I'm a safe surfer and don't share my computer with anyone else, but I got alarmed anyway. So I soon was doublechecking with Housecall and other online scanners and uploading the suspicious file to jotti and virustotal and threatexpert. None found nothing. In the end, I got tired of this constant doublechecking and uninstalled Comodo.

23. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

They have NIS and KIS 2009 3 user boxes for around $27 (free s+h) at buy.com regularly. I got lucky and picked up a 3 user KIS 2009 for $8.99 with free s+h this week from Buy but that deal ended very quickly. You could also keep your eye out at amazon for deals. Mcafee Internet Security 3 user is also dirt cheap for $12 (free s+h) at Buy.

On my relatives machines it's usually Windows firewall, Avast free and SpywareBlaster with the exception of my mothers which has Sandboxie and Firefox (no extensions). My sister is setup as a User on her Vista rig and is getting along fine with it. They also have MBAM and SAS and CCleaner but it's tough to get them to do things manually :rolleyes:. I also have to keep them updated every time I visit so it's and endless battle.

Tip: If you order from Buy.com don't click on that "Continue" button to save money unless you want to. It's not necessary and if you do so, make sure you read the fine print.

Good luck and keep us updated!

24. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

It will be annoying eventually to the individual you are referring to.
    What you are looking for does not yet exist.
    CIS v4 may turn out to be this, but v3 is definitely not.
    IMO there is no free suite currently available with the characteristics you seek.
    CIS AV is currently poor, and cannot be honestly recommended, no matter how much members of the Comodo organisation may try to spin it.

I would suggest using a good free AV such as Avira Personal, and add a decent firewall, maybe something like OA Free (very impressed with this, I just may recommend this to some clients) or Outpost Free, and possibly something like Threatfire...
    ...or you can keep your fingers crossed while you wait for CIS v4, if you insist on a good, free, suite.

25. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

If true, this a good deal.

Either of these products are excellent for the user the OP describes.

If that user can afford and can be properly advised regarding the benefits of dropping the "free" requirement, either of these products would be the best option.

EDIT:
    Sorry, I missed your reference to McAfee.
    I have had to remove several McAfee installations after they failed to protect the user.
    McAfee is not in the same league as the other two products, and cannot be recommended.

W.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.