How about a forum section about smartphones and tablets etc?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by aigle, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s just a wish. With smartphones and tablets becoming more and more common, this forum section seems very well desired. I know there are plenty of forums out there about phones n tablets but still I feel the Wilders one will be special, at least for us.

We can discuss latest and upcoming phones, apps, OS, buying choices, new trends etc, all in one place.

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I don't see a "Mobile" section as a bad idea really. I think the Hardware forum is too general of a place as it is.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It wouldn't hurt to broaden the user base.

4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I hate to appear like a spoilsport, but I was wondering how much interest and postings about smartphones/tablets might have increased since this question was last asked https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=331216

So I did a bit of a count-up and although interest in this area would appear to be increasing, nevertheless only approximately 15% of threads in this section (since start of year) concern these devices. The vast majority seems to still be about PC hardware, laptops, CPUs etc....Maybe someone should run a poll to assess demand?

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Valid question. I think a poll would be an okay idea, if we get more than just a handful of people actually voting. I can see the Admin point of view as well, in that there really isn't much to these devices to discuss, save for software choice.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Maybe "Mobile Devices" is a better name, so one can post about other mobile devices and not only phones and tablets.

Sometimes I really feel that we also need a section called "Tech News" or whatever, where one could post something that's interesting but that doesn't fit in well in some of the other sections. :doubt:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Would be a good idea but i wonder if it deserves a whole new sub forum. (Will there be enough activity?)

8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I think it does because PCs can be repaired by users - we can reinstall and setup the OS, or replace the OS for that matter. We can replace drives, RAM, CPUs and power supplies - if not everything else in a PC. A user can do almost as much servicing to a notebook.

But how many of us can totally wipe then reinstall the OS on a smartphone or tablet? How many of us can replace the RAM in such devices? Set up security?

I think those devices deserve their own site - not just a separate forum.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, I agree on Mobile Devices. Tech News would be kind of nice, yeah. Although Software and Services is usually where everything else gets sent to, lol. I honestly think that some of these locked up and no longer active sub-forums could be thrown out and sub-forums like we're discussing put in their place. Why waste space on sections that aren't used?

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

If you are discussing a hardware forum for smartphones and tablets, I don´t see the point of it.

Wilders is (and has always been, AFAIK) a software forum. Besides that, smartphones and tablets are information appliances, not intended to be serviced, modified or "upgraded" by users.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Howard's Forums is the ideal place for everything mobile especially sectioned for every conceivable handset AND provider in existence today.

The long standing and successful Terms of Service Rules here at Wilder's would expressly prohibit the posting of 3rd party tools and files often linked to for modding, some no doubt which would quickly become points of controversy that the Mods would likely prefer not to have to always watch for or deal with.

However i personally wouldn't mind seeing a security subforum maybe given that we also carry our operating systems in phone form now too.

12. Bill_Bright

As a hardware guy, I don't agree. Wilders is (and has always been, AFAIK) a personal computer security site where folks get and receive help maintaining and securing their hardware - which includes the software running on it.

13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Deciding on forum sections or sub-forums can be problematic since members tend to disagree and the Admin also needs to weigh whether the interest and amount of activity will justify the changes. Sometimes it turns out good if people do post and contribute while at other times it just makes the forum look messier. Up to the Admin as usual....

14. Bill_Bright

It does not matter what users think or agree on. It is all up the Admin.

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So where is the sub forum!! :ninja:

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well a lot of the stuff I post here in the "Hardware" section would fit in better in a section called "Tech News". And sometimes it just feels wrong posting it, but since I want to share with the over 100 000 members what do you do...And there's even more that I don't post at all because it's not Hardware or Software related but interesting news about technology.

Only because the name is Wilders Security doesn't necessarily mean we can't discuss things related to technology, because we can, and we already do. But it's hard to know in wich section one should post at times. Sometimes it feels like Wilders has kind of grown out of it's shoes, but maybe that's just me. I think Wilders could become something more by having one, or a few more sections. Plus soon the ESET section is closed too.

As Bill said
    Then nothing good will come out of this thead. But it matters that the Forum has members right? :) Not that I will go anywhere I like Wilders too much :D

Of course it is. I respect the Admin he is very fair and does a great Job I think(plus the mods), but it's not the Admin that is sharing the news, and creating threads here daily that's the members doing that. And if members don't post technology related news that may be of interest to others because they don't fit in the "Software/Hardware" sections, then maybe it's time to start a Tech News section. And if no one starts a topic like this to say what they are thinking about the current sections then how would anyone know.....

But I understand that no decisions will be made based on what the members think.

This is not said in a harsh tone, it's only what came out of my mind right now :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  18. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Actually i think that if they create a sub forum there will be quite some activity. Smartphones are more common then computers nowadays. :D

20. Bill_Bright

It is much more than just creating a new forum. It then must be moderated to ensure it remains civil, not infested with spammy posts, not cluttered with double-posts or posts that belong elsewhere.

That might be fine if there is existing staff who are interested and involved in smartphones and helping others in that area, but if not, then it becomes a greater burden on the staff. And as a member of the staff on several other sites, I can tell you staff does not get paid enough to moderate the forums/topic they currently have an interest in, let alone taking on more responsibility for forums/topics they don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.