How 2 Deactivate Liscenses B4 Redoing PC's

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Bitten By C Bug, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitten By C Bug

Bitten By C Bug Registered Member

I am a proud owner of Prev RTP for 2 pc's and have came acrossed an issue where something has to be done. Isn't malware or anything I don't believe, all scans are clean but my system is Vista HP 32 fully patched using nod32 av and security in local intranet protected because of wifes surfing habits. Her pc is windows xp Pro sp3 fully patched and secunia saying all is great no infections except potentionally unwanted ask tool bar detected via Nod.

Past 2 days her machine has been rebooting on its own per logging off. Usually she logs off and then shuts down. We are on a nat router sp1 FW but I have also noticed that on my machine when I do boot into admin account "Public" is coming and not identifying a network. This has been since I installed Secunia on my system. I reverted back to no avail. Also we both have same configs via security, Nod32 av 4.0 latest release, Prevx RT and Key scrambler Prem, BUT I am also running Windows Defender per Defaulted installation.

If I decide to just wipe drives and redo both pc's after flashing routers firmware <just in case> How would I go about reinitializing my prevx 2 pc's licenses? I have read that I would make a request? If I do decide to redo pc's what is best course of action to assure my prevx 2pc's 2yrs is back up and running smoothly?

Last question, is it neccessary in Internet explorer 8 to enable protected mode for Local Intranet per security reasons meaning my wifes pc? I am a noob at SRP so please don't ask. I am just trying to make sure I am not screwing anything up. And when installing Prevx do you run as ADMIN? Meaning right click? Cause I do use standard acct on My Vista machine. I always download apps to the downloads folder and then proceed to install, and yes UAC is always enabled, and just looking for any explanation on why these problems have erupted out of the blue. I have no problem redoing pc's, doesn't take long all data backed up. Would like to avoid if possible yes. Any ideas or input would be of great help. Thanks In advance.

2. PrevxWebDesigner

PrevxWebDesigner Former Prevx Moderator

Hi,

You can transfer your licenses over to replacement / reformatted machines by deactivating the license on your current machines, then simply reinstalling Prevx 3.0 on your new machine / environment and activating your license key again.

You can handle this by using our management web console at https://my.prevx.com.

Simply register your account, and once approved, you can login, select "Manage PCs" and click to deactivate the computers required.

If you have any issues with these steps, or in deactivating and reactivating - please don't hesitate to contact support at http://info.prevx.com/service.asp.

Not sure I can answer any of your other questions, but I do know it is recommended to always install Prevx 3.0 under Administrator rights, so to avoid any issues when running under a Limited User Account.

Hope this helps :)

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

A note on PrevxWebDesigner's response - after installing under an administrator account, you can then use Prevx 3.0 on a limited/standard user account without a problem.

Also, in my opinion, it is always worth enabling the strongest security policy for IE possible to prevent some attacks from entering but you are already significantly reducing your risk by using a standard user account.

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Does it work just as well to "Run as administrator" as it would be quite troublesome to go into Local Security Policies to activate the real one just for that. :D I would guess it's the same result. :)

5. PrevxHelp

I suspect Run as Administrator will work fine but booting into a "pure" normal/administrator user account would indeed be the preferred installation method.

Note: you don't have to boot into the account named 'Administrator', just into a normal user account with administrator rights.

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Understood. :)

7. Bitten By C Bug

Bitten By C Bug Registered Member

Thank you very much for replies and I apologize for not replying earlier. I have taken care of issue at hand, so are you saying that enabling protected mode under local intranet would be ok? With the new IE8 default is unchecked, and I thought that was causing the problems, but I see that it wasn't, I just don't trust my wifes surfing habits, sorry but true. Sandboxed, nod av, prevx rt, and still can't trust, lol. again ty, but as far as enabling the protected mode feature for local intranet I'd be very interested in knowing if I can do such without any reprocussions? Thanks in advance.

I run always in standard acct, after all set up in admin account. I am just leary of local intranet sliding something by me somehow from her behalf, is why IO am very interested in if problems would or could arise if I enabled the protected mode in local intranet, nod32av, prevx rt, keyscrambler, windows def hip's like. If she isn't affected or myself, then I am initiating but will wait for info. from you b4 hand. and btw I couldn't disable her prevx, account meaning deactivate as I am in process of redoing her pc.

I want to enable the protected mode for local intranet for both admin and standard. sorry for the 2 edits, just making sure I am making my point as to what I am wanting to do to secure my pc as much as I can. Also in MY Prevx, I see that there is an area to manage pc's, not important, to very important, can you explain these for me so I can adjust accordingly? Please, and Joe TY very much.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  8. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    MyPrevx is used primarily to configure your license keys and see infections across a wide number of computers if you have them. You don't have to do any specific configuration to use the consumer product and you can change options/settings locally within the interface of the product itself.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.