Houston police bust large ID theft ring

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's interesting what lengths thieves will go to steal money from others.

It's also interesting that States would allow personal information to be obtained for a fee on the Internet.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6620365.html

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Do you think that's what they meant, Ron? Do you think the database they obtained the SS#'s from was a legal site selling the information? I wonder. This kind of thing is so scary, because it's only going to get worse. I agree with the outgoing "Cyber Czar" in the U.S. who has said everyone wanted the emphasis on cyber-terrorism, when it should be on cyber-CRIME. Just like this.

Thanks for posting.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm sure the site selling the personal information isn't legal per se but the gathering of the information from, in this case, Texas, is relatively simple.
    http://www.dir.state.tx.us/egov/report/privacy.htm#Privacy_in_Texas

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Okay, I see what your saying and that's a very good point. While all of that "public information" has always been available, you had, at one time, to go down to the court house to get it. The spirit of these open-record laws was never meant for mass collection of data, but that's exactly what's happening. You are so right. It's very easy in my state as well. Scary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.