Housekeeping before making image???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pollyanna, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pollyanna

pollyanna Registered Member

Hi,
    Before making a complete image, does Acronis reccomend doing a defrag, a checkdisk, and closing things like system restore and startups like avg and zonealarmo_O Thanks for any help on this. P. :)

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

With a nic like that, what do you care ?

Just kiddin' !:p

Not to answer for Acronis, but a chkdsk would seem to be prudent and ONLY doing defrags just before a FULL backup is what I do and would suggest for anyone (so any incrementals are not almost the same size as full backups).

3. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

You should also perform a cleanup operation. There is no sense in backing up temporary files that you are never going to use again. Use "DISK CLEANUP" in ACCESSORIES -> SYSTEM TOOLS.

Storage_man

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

And on the second tab of DiskCleanup, delete old System Restore points if your system is running well. I find that the accumulated restore points often take up over 1GB which makes the backup larger and slower than necessary.

The best order is CheckDisk to be sure the disk is healthy, DiskCleanup and then Defrag.

5. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Download and run a prog called ccleaner, follow above advice, also disable hibernation, empty trash can, run defrag last and reboot before imaging.

6. TgFriday

TgFriday Registered Member

If it is my very first image, I will restrict myself to do only the VERY safe actions or nothing at all before make the image. Just incase anything goes wrong and I don't have any image to restore.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pollyanna,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Actually, there is no need to perform any special preparations prior to creating an image.

However, I find crofttk's, storage_man's and jmk94903's suggestions pretty useful.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. 666

666 Guest

No need for that if you compress the image. TI stores the paging and hibernation files as empty files - the space they take in a compressed image is close to zero bytes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.