House brings back flawed cybersecurity bill

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Clicking through I was surprised to see this (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/...-remove-personally-identifiable-information):

The EFF should be smart enough to question not just the ability, but the willingness of companies to ensure that "personally identifiable information" isn't reported. Furthermore, the EFF should know that the term "personally identifiable information" is very frequently defined/interpreted in a way that does not result in a significant reduction in the threat of someone being personally identified.

Maybe the EFF is just trying to scale back its fight, but substantially BS claims of redacted/anonymous/non-personally-identifiable data reporting is a huge issue already. Then there is the risk that companies expand their data collection and association practices so as to be able to feed the system with information and reap whatever financial and other rewards they are surely out to reap.

3. hidden

hidden Registered Member

The big push is this week:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/03/eff-joins-coalition-urging-white-house-veto-cispa

Who gets your data? In case you missed it the first time, just horrible:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/03/under-cispa-who-can-get-your-data

"Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships

Office of the President
    Office of the First Lady
    Office of the First Children

Office of the Vice President
    Office of the Second Lady
    Office of the Second Children

Agricultural Marketing Service

Forest Service

Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration

International Trade Administration
    Office of Travel and Tourism Industries

America Citizen Militia
    America Citizen Militia Intelligence

Indian Health Service

Bureau of Public Affairs
    Office of the Historian

United States Observer Mission to the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization

And on and on and on.................................

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/03/under-cispa-who-can-get-your-data

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Dear dear..... what will we do? I've got it return to snail mail.

You want privacy? sign off the www? Your computer will still run....

What about my right to be protected from threats? I want to live and if I have to have my boring emails read I don't care.

On the other hand if I'm doing evil things with the www and planning bad things then I want them to catch me and you....:blink:

5. TheWindBringeth

If a person thinks that the US might be a safer place by having their own records, information, etc shared with the 555 agencies/offices/bureaus in that EFF list... or simply feels the need to have others watching over their personal activities in order to help them keep those activities within appropriate and legal boundaries... they should send all of their records, information, etc directly to those entities. After they've done that for a few years, then it could be argued that they've earned the right to stand up and suggest that others subject themselves to such sharing.

6. Escalader

Don't need to earn the right to state a view or think what I think that right is already in place in the bill of rights.

My point was if users of the www expect privacy forget it!

The US will never be "safe" either for privacy buffs or school children it seems.

We believe in:

1) Peace
    2) Order
    3) Good governement

I'm not in the US:D

7. TheWindBringeth

I figured you were playing devil's advocate and having a bit of fun. Wanted to just nick those velvet buds ;) Speaking one's mind is one thing. Imposing one's beliefs on others and creating unbounded consequences for others through such broad legislation of what seems to be very questionable constitutionality... I feel that is bit more serious.

I am in the USA. A citizen born to citizens born to citizens...

8. Escalader

From time to time I do play devils advocate just to excercise the little grey cells eh! It maybe that the enforcement of this law will save you from others who would definately force their ideas on you and yours.:argh:

Yes IF you oppose the legislation then let those advocating it know that and why!! Go for it.

If it comes into force my guess is you will remember not to vote for those guys again! ;)

Then it will be challenged all the way up to the highest court and they will settle the matter...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.