Hotspot shield safe to use? Any experience?!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by WascawwyWabbit, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WascawwyWabbit

WascawwyWabbit Registered Member

hey, while I was surfing the web, I've found one free vpn by name AnchorFree Hotspot Shield and if you go to 'news' section, you can see many biggggggggggggg guns recommending that software. http://www.anchorfree.com/news-events/

PC World has also reviewed good. Read here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,71209-order,1-page,1/description.html

My experience? Here ya go! Just installed a day before and it was trouble free (use Adblock Plus and No Script to get rid of ads) and it didn't slow down the connection. But after a day, I had few problems. At first, web pages didn't open. When I placed cursor on the network icon (which is in the system tray) I was shocked! Sent: 0 bytes, received: 0 bytes! Clicking it to view didn't work. System froze suddenly. I was forced to remove my data card. Like that, it happened for few times. After ending 'networks' (?!) with the help of task manager, I was able to bring my computer to normalcy. Till now, it is connecting as usual: good! Scanned with my Avira Premium Security Suite and it didn't detect anything bad.

But is it safe to use? What do you think? :thumb: or :thumbd: :p

Note: I'm not using for any illegal purposes. Just to add extra protection as it encrypts data. Can I log into my email account etc while using it? Safe to use?!

Thank you! :)

UPDATE: I think it is not a 'hotspot shield problem' because I can use my PPPOE connection without any problem. When I reinstalled the application, the connection (data card's) is worry free till now fortunately.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Hotspot Shield places ads on your web pages. I find that annoying, plus they are data mining which conflicts with protecting privacy IMHO. I prefer to use an inexpensive VPN service instead.

3. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  4. guest

guest Guest

I keep my hands off HSS.
    If you want to delete it from your machine, the uninstall is useless.
    You really have to deeply dig into your registry to get rid of all that crap left behind :mad:

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

So use Revo Uninstaller and other power removers to get rid of it then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.