Hotmail Full Session SSL has arrived

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

As the thread title states, Full Session SSL is finally here for Hotmail :) It's not available in the options yet, but if you go to httpS://hotmail.com, then it will use full session SSL and you can set it to SSL as default.

If anyone could help me out, when trying to set SSL as default it gives an error message: (freely translated from Dutch) This Windows Live ID cannot automatically use HTTPS because this function is not available for this type of account.
    I have a standard email account so I don't know what could be wrong :S

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I heard they were progressively rolling it out, so :thumb:

I always use their HTTPS to login, and today that's all i got, not full session :(

I also have a standard email account so I don't know what's going on either ?

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I've got the same message like you did. The only thing I can think of is that I'm indeed using LiveMail + other things listed as possible cause why https can't be enabled automatically. On the other hand it could simple be a bug

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

According to MS, if the automatic use of SSL gives that error, then it is because SSL is not fully 'rolled out' yet on the server of your account. Anyway, mine is now and it works :)

@cloneranger
    For full session SSL you have to go to https://hotmail.com, then it will redirect you to a secure connection after loggin in. If that doesn't work you could also try adding *.live.com to the HTTPS enforcing list of NoScript if you use it.

5. CloneRanger

@ BoerenkoolMetWorst

Hi, i'll try the EXACT www etc you gave https://hotmail.com & let you know what happened.

As i mentioned i do use HTTPS to log into hotmail but it's this one https://login.live.com/login.srf I would have expected that to work ! So i'll see what the other one does.

6. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Are you using a proxy or VPN?

Full-session SSL for Hotmail is here!
    HTTPS-on-Hotmail_thumb.png
    After you login this is the settings page to enable full SSL
    https://account.live.com/ManageSSL

I tried this and it protected just about everything in windows live account but I couldn't access my mail until I disabled it, does anybody else have this issue?

7. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Smash the last post, I just logged into my live account and it automatically asked me if I would like to use the full SSL feature, now I can access mail with SSL Protection without any problems.

I think their just updating servers and your problems will be solved soon.

Make sure to login threw the live site and it should ask if you want to use Full SSL right after you login.

https://login.live.com/

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

@Warlockz
    As I said in my second post, it works for me now, and didn't before because the server wasn't fully updated.

@CloneRanger
    Any results?

9. CiX

CiX Registered Member

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Ugh, still the same damned error message: Your Windows Live ID can't use HTTPS automatically because this feature is not available for your account type.

11. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

yeah me too,got the same error message

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

@CiX
    That is because you are on bl142w.blu142.mail.live.com but the certificate is specifically for mail.live.com, that is quite negligent from MS, but as the domains are both from MS, there shouldn't be any harm in allowing them.

@J L
    @acuariano
    That is because the servers where your accounts are located are not yet fully upgraded, until they are you could just click continue to Hotmail every time and then you also have full session SSL, but you just have to click one time extra every time you login.

13. CloneRanger

For the first time, today i actually got the full SSL option :thumb: Except as others have said

hot.gif

Don't know why some of the text is wonky, maybe i need to allow more scripts and/or requests ?

Anyway i went ahead and to my surprise i was logged in all the time in full SSL :)

We'll see how it goes.

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Possibly, I have live.com, hotmail.com and wlxrs.com allowed, otherwise hotmail won't work properly for me.

15. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

check the user agent string, it might not be standard

16. CloneRanger

OK thanks :)

Good thinking, i did & normal :thumb:

Fuuny thing, i have several accounts & some sailed through just fine, but the others showed the error, but still worked ! And this was with the same browser & settings etc ?

I guess it's just teething problems ?

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Like I already said 3 times :D before in this thread, if it gives that error it is because the server your account is stored on is not yet fully updated with the new full session SSL. So some of your accounts are on servers already updated, and some not ;)

18. CloneRanger

Indeed you did ;)

Like I already said 1 time before in this thread

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.