Hotel Business Center PC Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheKid7, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am now staying at a well known Hotel chain. I am shocked at the PC Security of the Hotel provided PC's (Business Center PC's). It appears to me that the Hotel is relying only on:

1. Windows Limited User Account
    2. Windows Defender

One PC is Windows 7 Home Premium and the other is Windows XP. Both have an unlicensed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which is way out of date both on both version numbers and Malware signature dates. The Windows XP PC has a long expired Hitman Pro on it. The Windows 7 Home Premium has a long expired 30 Trial of McAfee installed on it.

However, the BIOS Boot Menu is not locked out. So here I am using Puppy Linux Slacko on one of the Hotel's Business Center PC's.

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah. I'm sure that they installed and forgot about them. They should have installed like Deep Freeze. Maybe even some BTR software.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I believe the saying is "no good deed goes unpunished" ;)

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Does the hotel have wireless? If so, surely you've got a laptop.

Whenever the wife and I travel a prerequisite for where we stay is wireless, plus both laptops run Ubuntu.

Later...

5. siketa

siketa Registered Member

WiFi is not free of charge in every hotel.
    ;)

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Thank god for Smart phones and tether.

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

WiFi connection is worth in these cases.

Still, I would urge its roomers to run at least either Quarri's POQ or Trusteer's Rapport when doing online banking transactions.

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

My impression is that most Hotels have both wired and wireless. The current Hotel and the past several Hotels where I have stayed had both wired and wireless.

Until a few months ago, I rarely traveled. A few months ago, I switched to a different job in the same company, and now I travel around two to six times a year.

People keep telling me to buy a Laptop, but I have always hesitated because of the difficulty to repair Laptops if something goes wrong. Yes, the new Laptop Warranty will usually cover things that can go wrong (even breakage if you pay for the extra insurance).

Maybe, I will buy a Laptop sometime in the future. I will give it some thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.