HostsMan Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by firzen771, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hostsman comes with something called HostsServer and it says that it speeds up browsing when using custom HOSTS file, is there any real point to enable hostserver? does it actually make much of a difference or is there anything else that it does?

2. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

This "HostsServer" is akind of local HTTP server that is supposed to prevents ugly blocking error messages from appearing in your browser, and replaces them with (configurable) text and/or an image.

I don't have a need for it as I already run eDexter with The Proxomitron to achieve same purpose (and alot more ;) ).

3. firzen771

i dont have anything like edexter or proximitron on my system, so would it actually be worth running HostServer or is not really helpful?

4. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

The main benefit of using HostsMan is to ease your HOSTS file management (backing it up, merging together & killing duplicates, editing, searching, updating by divert sources, maintaining an exclusion list, switching it ON/OFF, etc.).

IMO, its HostServer feature is mostly a cosmetic thing, but you should test it to see if the little gain in speed it could give you is valued anough, on your particular pc & internet settings, to bother with this optional HostsMan's feature.

EDIT: Someones already using it would probably be more helpfull than me by chiming in to give you their take on this HostServer thingie...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  5. firzen771

ive been using hostserver for a couple days now and it nice seeing a message saying blocked by hosts instead of just a white page and having no clu y it wont work.

and hostserver seems to be running decently light so i guess it wuld not hurt to just keep it on if only for that confirming message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.