HOSTS & non IE browsers ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by StevieO, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

If it's not in the correct place please stick it where you think it's more appropiate, err not there lol,Thanx

Is it only IE that can take advantage of a HOSTS file, or will any browser automatically be redirected through it ?

TIA

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i use ie6 in a xp2 with mvps host file without any isues or slow downs:thumb:
    a host file is very good ;) to have:thumb:

3. mortl

mortl Registered Member

no more prevx jmonge?

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i had a trial key in my pc but no more:D now in wife pc is permanent full time along side my favorite Defensewall Hips;)

5. StevieO

jmonge

Great i'm very happy to hear that, except i was asking about all other browsers, apart from IE !

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

:D :thumb: :D

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It works for all browsers because it is a system file being used, not a browser setting (I'm not sure I worded that right, I'm in a rush, lol). The addresses in a HOST file are checked before any DNS queries are sent out, meaning before your browser takes you where you asked to go. If an IP address is listed in said HOST file as bad, it blocks it. Hope that helps.

8. arran

arran Registered Member

Yes a host file works with all browsers. But with our type of security setups these days who still needs a host file with a black list??

A black listed host file would be more of a nuisance having false positives with not being able to go to sites that are clean.

9. StevieO

I only use it as an AD blocker, not to prevent bad www's !

Thanx for the answers, now i know for sure.

So in that case, Adblock for eg in FF isn't required, and will only add ( no pun intended lol ) to slowdowns in FF ?

S

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I use the Host file only as a "whitelist" of my financial institutions, that way there is no chance of being "phished out" to a rogue/fake website due to DNS poisoning.

Acadia

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The HOST file won't block all ads, neither will AdBlockPlus. Use them both together and you'll be 99.9% ad-free. AdBlockPlus doesn't slow FF down one bit unless you use the malware list subscription, and even then it simply slows the start-up of FF extremely slightly. And, honestly, who cares if the browser loads up a few seconds later than without the extension and the list? A few extra seconds is WELL worth being free of annoying ads and, sometimes, malware.

12. StevieO

Acadia

I wouldn't say " no chance " maybe less chance. If the HOSTS file doesn't have the bad www's in, then !

dw426

Sure thing.

S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.