Hosts file

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lodore, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, i used the mvps hosts file for a while but decided to stop using it but might go back to it.
    I accidentally deleted all the entries rather than going back to the original.
    how can i put the one default entrie back in to it?
    also what is the default entrie i know it begins with 1 and it has dots and numbers.
    i want to put it back to normal and maybe use the hosts file again.
    mods move it if its in wrong place.
    lodore

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

127.0.0.1?

This is what it looks like...

Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats the one lol.
    how do i re add it?

4. Meriadoc

Well if you've just deleted the contents goto that file and open it with notepad then copy the above from copyright down to 127.0.0.1 localhost and paste it...save

do a search for hosts to find the file...in etc, hosts

Can I ask why you've decided not to use mvps host file now.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im not quite sure really.

i cant open the file named hosts in notepad help me?
    i put that text in and saved the file but inb spy sweeper it says i told it to block local host wtf?
    lodore

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  6. Meriadoc

Do you have a host file on your system?

The HOSTS file is located here:
    Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    If you do not have one, copy:
    C:\I386\HOSTS
    To:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS

after your edit
    EDIT : Ah, Spysweeper has a hosts guard then? Disable any hosts file guards.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Open Spysweeper GUI and temporarily disable that shield by going to Shields\Network tab....uncheck Hosts File

Bubba

Attached Files:

8. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

What I usually do is run Hoster, which has a button near the bottom of the screen, to recreate Microsoft's default hosts file.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

worked perfectly and pdm warned me like it should and i allowed the change.
    i guess if i want to use the mvps hosts file which i just did by using holster.
    i will have to put DNS client to manual?
    and if so does this mean that after ive done that the hosts file will be active?
    and will remain active after i reboot i do i have to manualy start the dns client service when i want the hosts file to work?
    lodore

10. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

You can set DNS service to disable, you DO NOT NEED IT, make sure you have your Host file setup to read-only, you can do it through window's explorer, and surf away with your new hosts file...

11. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

The main function of your DNS client is to resolve hosts names into IP addresses, which allows your browser to connect to the sites you are visiting. If you are using a hosts file, the hosts file resolves every site listed in it to the localhost (127.0.0.1), which is your local machine. So, if you are running a large hosts file (such as MVPS), having your DNS Client enabled has the tendency to make web browsing extremely slow. With your DNS Client disabled, DNS resolution is then done through your ISP (according to Microsoft tutorial I read at their site). I also use the Hoster program, although the main program I've always used is HostsMan from Abelhadigital. Either program is good, and either one can update the Hosts File from the MVPS website. I have been using the MVPS Hosts File for close to 2 years, and would feel naked without it. One nice thing about the HostsMan program is that it can automatically disable or enable the DNS client for you by just clicking a box. At any rate, since your Hosts File simply resolves websites listed in the file to the localhost, it is working whether you have the DNS client enabled or not. Like I said, the only difference is that with the DNS Client enabled (along with the large Hosts File), your browsing speed might be affected. There are some who think using the Hosts File is a waste of time, but I would heartily disagree. I used to get all sorts of crap on my computer every time I went online, no matter what apps I ran. Since using the Hosts File to block pests, that has stopped. I don't know whether you've read the full tutorial at the MVPS site, but I would read it thoroughly and get a good grasp of how to use the hosts file. The tutorial is here:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Also, I have never had to reboot after changing my hosts file. I have read other posts where people say it's needed, but I have never had to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.