HOSTS file (?)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SG1, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

your firewall should stop your outbound traffic to such websites if it is done by an unknown element from inside your system.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Re: There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Since eDexter has been pointed out here, and in a PM by someone else, I did test it alongside the MVPS HOSTS file, and voila, that does resolve the cosmetic issues. However, as I'm using KIS and its Anti-Banner option, the results are neligible. In other words, the majority of sites look the same whether I use HOSTS+eDexter or just KIS' Anti-Banner. So for now, I'm not using the HOSTS file.

I realise the HOSTS file is meant to do more than block ads as it's supposed to be a means to prevent malware/spyware etc. from certain sites, but my reasoning is if you don't frequent places where such malware resides, what's the point of using such a long, long list of URLs that one isn't likely to use, unless that is their preferred way of surfing, and then, yes, I can see the need for protection.

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi TonyW and Infinity!

As to the hosts file, there seems to be some indication that there are some advantages to using some of the other methods listed. I sort of think the opposite is true if I understand what you mean by "unless that is their preferred method of surfing" Someone who frequents the more seedy parts of the internet would be the one NOT using a large host file. If he did he would be blocked very freqently. I don't know all of the ways upstanding pillars of the cyber community such as ourselves get routed to these sites. some have suggested installed programs, ect...I actually am going to post a question related to this, because it does happen.

Infinity, I've heard of protowall, but yet have no experience with it. I read a download description of it, but did not understand how it works. I like to know so that I can try to guess if it will cause me more harm than good!

-HandsOff

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

protowall, like peerguardian, is an IP blocker. like a hosts file it blocks communication from/to a list of sites. besides blocking ads, it can also block govt and educational organizations, web spiders, malicious p2p servers, or just any server u want. just enter its IP address.

5. HandsOff

Sounds like a firewall!

-HandsOff

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

7. HandsOff

Interesting about Protowall. I would have to say I would be suspious of the proprietary code as well. Would it really be that hard to establish its credibility? How likely is it that the methods it uses are not already commonly used in firewalls? If not, could they / should they not encorporate a superior protection into a full firewall.

I can imagine legitimate answers, but it is still suspicious.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.