Hosts file not working...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Blackspear, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have been trying to tackle this for the last day. When I test a few sites from within HPguru's Host File I get straight through.

Proxomitron
    Kye-U's filters
    Firefox > Tools> Options> General> Connection Settings> Manuel Proxy Configuration> 127.0.0.1 Port 8080

Any suggestions?

Cheers :D

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Host files don't work with proxies in windows

when you use a proxy it bypasses the hosts file completely

that is why many people now have stopped recommending hosts files and why many of the latest malwares drop a proxy element so that they can bypass the hosts file

3. Blackspear

Ok, I had read several places that it was just settings:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

You might get it to work by fiddling with the proxy settings but you have to exclude the local 127.0.0 1 settings in FF at the bottom of the proxy page and that in turn bypassses proxomitron which uses 127.0.0.1 so you are stuck

I have found that you can either use a proxy or use a hosts file but not both together

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

format C and start all over again cause you are making a mess of it :D

@ DVK01

I can use the pacfile and still working with a host...and I believe that the pacfile works like a proxy too.

I think it could be done btw...I'll check it out now...

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

The way you might get round it is change all the hosts entries to 0.0.0. and set that in FF exclude local host 0.0.0.

Good luck with fidling

If we don't hear from you we will assume that you have managed to proxy yourself out of existance

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

ok , what I've tried to do: :D

I use a pacfile with all the IP's that I don't wanna know of...

that pacfile can act as a proxy, from the moment I do that : the host doesn't work anymore...

you were right, I have to choose to use the pacfile and the host (spyblocker) but from the moment I use the pacfile as a proxy it won't work anymore...

*puppy* :)

8. Blackspear

ROFLMAO, going for a wander now ;) :D I'm looking into DNSKong as well.

9. Blackspear

Well, had a wander, tried to play with DNSKong, and now my head hurts, lost connection and then reversed course and are back online. From what I have read DNSKong with Proxomitron should work. Does anyone have this working and is good at instruction?

What' I'm trying to accomplish is filtering out websites according to those found in a hosts file that is updated while using Proxomitron with filters (Kye-U's).

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Maybe a little bit off-topic:

There was not so long ago a long thread at DSLR, started by R2, called "Hosts file not working?"
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12049293~mode=flat

And another possibility is the use of AdShield:
    http://www.ad-shield.com/index.html

There is a forum for AdShield at ComputerCops/CastleCops.
    I have to admit that I don't know whether you can use it in combo with Proxo, but you can use it in combo with HOSTS.
    And Eric Howes publishes frequently an updated list for it together with the IESPYAD updates.
    EDIT to add:
    And once again I should have read better :oops:
    I just saw that Craig uses FireFox, and I really don't know whether AdShield works with FireFox..... Sorry !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2005
  11. Blackspear

12. Blackspear

Well the link though fairly comprehensive, was not enough. Managed to lose my connection, so reversed out all the settings and connection is back. I think I'll leave this alone. I like Proxomitron too much to let that go, so a Hosts file looks like it's going by the wayside.

13. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

craig

make a new hosts file with just a few entries to test and instead of using 127.0.0.1 as local host then use 0.0.0.0 and in FF set the proxy bypass to 0.0.0.0 instead of 1127.0.0.1

see if that works

it should do because proxo uses 127.0.0.1 so you can't have the hosts file using the same local host

14. Blackspear

Thanks Derek, I'll try that now.

15. Blackspear

No that didn't work, any other suggestions?

16. Blackspear

I was asked on another forum: http://www.kye-u.com/proxo/forums/index.php?act=idx
    And this hit the nail right on the head. The hosts file I had started like the following:

; Edited out info
    ; More edited out info
    www. badwebsite. com CNAME 127.0.0.1
    www. nextbadwebsite. com CNAME 127.0.0.1

What I now have looks like this:

# Edited out info
    # More edited out info
    127.0.0.1 www. badwebsite. com
    127.0.0.1 www. nextbadwebsite. com

It now works with Firefox and IE, and does so nicely, I don't see any slowdown whatsoever, and every site is being blocked.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  17. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

If you had the host file entries back to front, that would account for it not working

I never thought to check whether you had the 127 at the front as all the readymaf=de hosts files I have seen have

18. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi guys ;)

Really interesting... Special thanks to dvk01 for the intelligent thoughts!

So, if the newbie I am did understand this well, it should work with proxies like Proxomitron or WebWasher or whatever, provided all the [127.0.0.1 www.badwebsite1.com] entries in the Host File are changed to [0.0.0.0 www.badwebsite.com], AND the browser's settings for proxy use (whether it be in FFox or Opera or any other) include the 'don't use proxy for 0.0.0.0' instruction, am I right ?

Thanks

19. dog

dog Guest

Can't Tell;

Here's the explanation BlackSpear refered to above ... which will clear it up for you. :)
    Kye-U's Forums

20. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

How about leaving the Host entries as they are 127.0.0.1, and telling Proxo to connect to 0.0.0.0 via port 8080? Would it work? Because that 's alot easier than changing all the entries in the Host file... Unless one uses automatic features in word processors...
    Dunno...

21. dog

dog Guest

Re-read the explaination ... nothing has to be changed.

The problem was created by accidentially using an incorrect host file, that had a different structure, intended for a different OS. ;)

Leave everything as it is. :)

22. Blackspear

The Hosts file I picked up was all back to front (I thought it was from HPguru, it can't have been), I have now downloaded directly from:

http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/

and then it works perfectly with Firefox and Internet Explorer.

As stated above the HOSTS file is a complete seperate issue to Proxomitron.

HOWEVER, when using XP and a large HOSTS file it is advisable to do the folllowing:

A large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.

To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"
    · Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
    · Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
    · Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
    · Select: Manual, click Apply\Ok and restart.

You can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little browsing) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show "Started" in that column.

Hope this helps...

23. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Thanks Dog
    The OS looks first in the Host file, and 'sees' that the 'local DNS resolution' translates to 127.0.0.1, which is the adresse Proxo sits at, on port 8080... So, from the Proxo point of vue (so to speak), it gets a request for www.badsite.com, not realizing (and not caring) that the Host file has previously been consulted.

For a user, the result is: Host file or not, in the case scenario above, Proxo connects to the ISP DNS server, then to the Internet on port 80 to the bad site.

If 127.0.0.1 is changed to 0.0.0.0 in the Host file, the OS's request is redirected to 0.0.0.0., which stops the process, and the bad site is never contacted in reality, even if the OS 'thinks' it has been, at 0.0.0.0.

Hope I'm not confusing anyone, nor appearing too stupid if these few lines still miss the point...?!(In which case it might mean that I should upgrade my cerebral CPU unit very quickly :))

Cheers

24. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Aarghhhhhhhhhhhh

I still missed the point, didn't I?

Connecting to 127.0.0.1 does not mean that the request is gonna go to and through Proxo, right ? For the request to reach and go through Proxo, is has to be addressed to 127.0.0.1 AND through port 8080. Is that it? Which would explain why 0.0.0.0. is irrelevant in the scenario I described above ?

If not correct this time (shame on me), this will be my last post as Can't Tell, 'cause I wouldn't dare to appear again in front of you guys... :(

25. Blackspear

No not at all, keep asking until you understand, I certainly do ;) :D

LOL, if that was the case I wouldn't be here (2+ years later I'm still here, it's very hard to get rid of mould ;) :D )

As to the in's and outs, all I know is that it works, and REALLY well ;) :D

PS. so will you be joining us here at Wilders? together we could keep the forum busy ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.