Hosts Block

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brocke, Aug 17, 2015.

1. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

On windows x64 I get this right after installation:
    Code:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070534): (15,8):UserId:
       bei Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.V2Interop.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object UserId, Object password, TaskLogonType LogonType, Object sddl)
       bei Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, TaskDefinition definition, TaskCreation createType, String UserId, String password, TaskLogonType LogonType, String sddl)
       bei Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, TaskDefinition definition)
       bei Hosts_Block.Form1.FirstLoad()
       bei Hosts_Block.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       bei System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Assemblys **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly-Version: 4.0.0.0.
        Win32-Version: 4.6.106.0 built by: NETFXREL2STAGE.
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll.
    ----------------------------------------
    Hosts Block
        Assembly-Version: 1.4.6.0.
        Win32-Version: 1.4.6.
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Hosts%20Block/Hosts%20Block/Hosts%20Block.exe.
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
        Assembly-Version: 10.0.0.0.
        Win32-Version: 14.6.79.0 built by: NETFXREL2.
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll.
    System.Windows.Forms
        Win32-Version: 4.6.79.0 built by: NETFXREL2.
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
    System
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
    System.Drawing
        Win32-Version: 4.6.93.0 built by: NETFXREL2STAGE.
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
    System.Runtime.Remoting
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll.
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
    System.Core
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll.
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
    ChilkatDotNet4
        Assembly-Version: 9.5.0.52.
        Win32-Version: 9.5.0.52.
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Hosts%20Block/Hosts%20Block/ChilkatDotNet4.DLL.
    Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler
        Assembly-Version: 2.4.0.0.
        Win32-Version: 2.4.0.0.
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Hosts%20Block/Hosts%20Block/Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.DLL.
    mscorlib.resources
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll.
    System.Windows.Forms.resources
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.

There are (compared to the old HostsMan app) some kind of stuff/options missing:
    * There is no option to change the 127.0.0.1 into 0.0.0.0 or backwards (and also not after each update)
    * No scan option to scan or search for existent errors, problems or EOL problems, this should be done automatically after each hosts file update and an option (because maybe you added stuff manually and want to check it) ... on errors there should be a error message visible what course the problem.
    * The advanced popup should be only shown once and not each time you go into the advanced sources settings + the url can't be tested to see if the server and hosts file is online and okay.
    * It doesn't save/load the hosts if RA (read-only) was set, you will get access denied (even if I run Hosts Block as admin) - or it simply takes really long to see something + get the error msg.
    * The Help button needs longer to loading compared to other buttons.
    * The exclusions list doesn't allow regex like *.mydomain.
    * The software should run with /uac to avoid the admin check each system restart on startup (similar to Ccleaners option)
    * There is no default action which can be set to merge hosts files (e.g. to add them directly as 0.0.0.0, or merge or add them separately
    * There is no editor, speaking to 'open as' ... this can't be chosen to e.g. open it via Notepad++ (external)
    * I can't find any keyboard shortcuts?
    * The comments can't be auto deleted or selected which one to keep.
    * On access denied error the software use a lot of ram during some time until you see the warning. Maybe memory leak. Same with a large hosts file, to much memory is used.
    * Entries with www. prefix are linkable, why? Makes no sense. See screenshot: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/151014/yb9ezyn9.png
    * I can't any option to export/import only the sources? I only can backup the hosts file by itself or restore the original one?
    * The uninstaller is almost useless, run Hosts Block try to uninstall it, it ask you that Hosts block is running, click on yes - kill it, the deinstall process goes on and nothing happened, the app is still running. The entire uninstall process is bugged most f not all entries are still present e.g. C:\Users\<username>AppData\Local\Created_by_Brock_Eldridge\Hosts_Block.exe_Url_pq5i4p0jk1r3w3qp3p3yz3agkhd2objf
    * It should be mentioned that the donate/facebook button are only dissapear after a hosts block restart and not immediately.
    * Under 'help' - 'save' the save button is mentioned twice, the first one shouldn't be look like the other one (see commands how it should look like). One blue and one black for the topic.
    * there is no right click menu for each entry to e.g. edit, comment out a single line, check it or something like that.
    * The installer is silent, why? I want to see what's going on in detail. I don't like hidden setups or does it contains something to hide? I hope not.

Compared to HostsMan this is far away from stable/complete, sorry to saying this. But the only problem with HostsMan I have is that after an update it doesn't always replace the 127.0.0.1 entries with 0.0.0.0 that was the reason I tried this software, but there is too many missing or bugged at the moment (for me).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Hello

Thank you for taking time and letting me know the bugs and features that are missing and/or suggested.
    The bug/exception is a known one and I currently working on that. As for the list of items of suggestions. ill look at adding a lot of your list into Hosts Block.

again thank you for the comparison and suggestions. I appreciate it .

Brock

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Program Update: Hosts Block 1.4.7

Bug fix - Issue with Startup Task being created in task scheduler. Reported by @CHEFKOCH Thank you
    Added - Email Settings > obfuscate password field.

Next week program update will bring more features suggested by @CHEFKOCH

thank you
    Brock

4. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Thank you for this nice program.
    Please add an option to check for updates manually. Do not like programs connecting automatically.

5. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

It doesn't appear to merge hosts..I had a lot of hosts blocking M$ given the recent privacy issues raised with 10..I installed Hosts Block and they were all missing after it installed the MVPS hosts, I know I can add them again but worry that it will not merge when an update is run.

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Yes I'll add that option

7. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

You can Merge entries.

Click Entries then custom entries.

8. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

This is a perfect example of the perfect developer: He/she actually listens to the community, is active with the community, fixes bugs and implements features as fast as he/she can.

You, Sir/Mrs/Ms, deserve a Gold medal :)

I had to share my opinion.

Cheers.

9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Thanks you for the kind words.

I try my best to make everyone happy

10. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Program Update: Hosts Block 1.4.8

Added - Option to disable Active Protection
    Added - Option to disable Auto Updating of hosts file
    Removed - Donate button at top.
    Removed - Links in Hosts file view that would show as URL's

More updates to come this week. This was a quick update for a few requests that people wanted.

Download: http://bitly.com/HostsBlockSetup

thank you
    Brock

11. Circuit

Thank you for adding "Option to disable Auto Updating of hosts file"
    Fast work very impressive!

12. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Your welcome

13. guest

guest Guest

A portable version is possible?

14. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

Trying to add security, by blocking malware sites with host-file, is a helpless approach.

Windows host-file was never meant to be used this way.
    The file is not indexed, and as it grows, it will slow down internet reaction.
    Updates are always way behind actual risks and that's by design.

A better approach is to operate a dns-server, that blocks malicious url's

I'm so sorry to tell, but I had to do.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  15. guest

guest Guest

I agree but a host file manager has other purposes than just blocking malwares.

16. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

its is possible but I'm still looking at how much Hosts Block is being used and if the demand is there or not. It is possible but like I said the demand has to be there for me to even think on it.

But thank you for asking.

Brock

17. guest

guest Guest

Ok thanks for fast reply ;)

18. CHEFKOCH

I disagree, because the entire IP stuff is more complicated since they can just change the IP so blocking them is not good, especially while Ipv4 running out. The domain in this case is better, because even if the attacker creates a sub-domain, if the entire primary domain is blocked there is no chance to get access (in a normal case). I don't understand what you mean by not indexed you speaking on resolving? Because dnsclient handle the dnscache resolving mechanism by itself so you need as already said on huge lists set this internal dns cache to a lower number (4 hrs or something) and set it to manual or disable it, or just use another dns cache, like unbound which also comes with dnssec support for validation. I agree that the slowdown is due resolving process but that is also with all other resolvers the same. Doesn't really matter which method you use, the internet if it was build was also not designed to be secure.

So for a first quick defense or just block some ads it's more as enough. If you really want security you need to work with whitelists and not with blacklists anyway but this is for advanced users.

Sr, for off-topic. But the hosts method is still okay for normal users and remember that your pc isn't a server so the risk is also much lower.

Special thanks (again) here to Brocke's work, quite fantastic to see the process he had made from the initial release until now.

19. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

20. CHEFKOCH

Your mentioned tool comes with less gimmicks compared to HostsBlock or HostsMan. It's more for beginners and not for experts which want to control/monitor and manage different sources.

21. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Program Update: Hosts Block 1.5.1

Added - Ability change from 0.0.0.0 to 127.0.0.1 and visa versa

Added - Ability to remove Commented line, right click and height a line to remove.
    Entries >Exclusions > Remove commented line you can view and remove lines if need be.

Added - option to set Hosts file to read only. Note this will disable Active Protection as it wont be need.

Added - Detection if Hosts file is read only by user. Hosts Block will remove the Read only to update hosts file and then re add the read only to the hosts file.

More updates to come.

thank you
    Brock

22. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

+1 for a Portable version! :thumb:

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Program Update: Hosts Block 1.5.2

Changed - Options window, now tabbed view for a cleaner look.
    Changed - Backup > Restore > Now called "Restore from backup"
    Added - Online/Offline checking of hosts file databases for MVPS hosts file and MDL Hosts file.
    Added - Online/Offline checking of hosts file link in Other sources.
    Added - "Open in" option. Now you are able to use your favorite tool to edit the hosts file. Just right click the hosts file in Hosts Block.
    Added - Paste option in Exclusions list, Just right click the windows and you now paste full lists in the exclusions.

Download: http://bitly.com/HostsBlockSetup

thank you
    Brock

24. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Is anyone having problems with Hosts Block updating from version to version? I have one person that is having an issue but I'm not having any issues or any other computer that I know of.

25. Circuit

Yes I am, got this message pop-up.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.