Homepage "Forbidden-HTTP Error 403"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ocionnfhaolaidh, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocionnfhaolaidh

ocionnfhaolaidh Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone please help me access my hompage and web-mail (which is accessed through the same page)?

Now when I try to access the page, I get the ominous message, "HTTP Error 403--Forbidden. Internet Explorer."

Everything has worked fine for months until yesterday afternoon after I installed ie-spyad, which is probably just coincidental. Naturally, I've checked the list of restricted sites in IE via Tools/Internet Options/Security Tab, and my homepage is not obviously referred to there ( which is www.postmaster.co.uk , by the way).

My OS is Windows XP Home, fully updated, as is all the other stuff I run. The security programs I have installed are: XP's Built-In Firewall, Kaspersky Anti-Hacker, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 4.5, Ad-Aware, SpyBot S & D, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, CT Cookie Spy, Spy Chaser, Spy Sites, Spy Sweeper, and ie-spyad, as mentioned above.

I have sent an e-mail to Admin at postmaster (from another mail account of mine) but have received no reply, so I don't know whether the problem lies in my system, or theirs.

I have no problem getting through to any other sites, or e-mail accounts I have, so it seems to be particular to my homepage address. I would add that postmaster is part of the BiblioTech empire, which seems to be pretty reputable, so I don't understand why the site is suddenly being forbidden to me.

Any advice will be appreciated, especially as I'm a newbie to PCs and their workings--or rather their all too often 'not workings'

Regards,

O'C.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I found this notice.

POSTMASTER

IMPORTANT MESSAGE - 17 June 2004

UPDATE

On Tuesday, 15 June, 2004 at approximately 5p.m. BST, we experienced a major power outage at our Docklands data centre in Harbour Exchange.

Please see link for further information.

This affected numerous ISPs, websites and service providers as well as postmaster. Our technical team has been working round the clock to fully restore the postmaster service.

Our mailservers are picking up mail and they will be delivered when postmaster is online again.

BiblioTech apologises for any inconvenience caused by this power outage.

While we appreciate that it is little consolation, this power outage was significant and widespread, not just limited to BiblioTech or postmaster. We are doing everything to recover the services as soon as possible.

The Postmaster team

BiblioTech Ltd.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/16/redbus_power_fails/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  3. ocionnfhaolaidh

Thanks, ronjor, you were able to get more than I could, as all I got was the HTTP Error 403--Forbidden message (whatever that means). I've tried the site since your post, and I see the same message, so at least I'm getting through to something, and it cannot be a problem in my system (or can it?)

Regards,

O'C.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It is not your computer. Yahoo and several other big sites were inaccessible a couple of days ago because Akamai, a hosting service, had an outage.

http://www.theregister.com/2004/06/15/akamai_goes_postal/

5. ocionnfhaolaidh

Thanks for that reassurance. I tried to visit the site immediately prior to posting this and got the same error message as before; at least now I know it has nothing to do with what I've done, which is a load of my mind.

Take care,

O'C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.