Home Network Security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TouchuvGrey, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

I'm sure that there are many of us out here who have small ( 3-4 machines ) home networks. Being far from a rich person i cannot afford to install all of the security software i like on each one of them. There is much good freeware out there and i have installed the stuff i like. Do any of the security software vendors offer deals for for small home networks so we can be safe without breaking the bank ?

Mike

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Unless you are already using free AntiViruses; F-Prot for Windows would be a good choice;
    So $29/year for AV protection for your Home network would be an option to consider.

3. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    You have not mentioned if your network is wired or wireless. There are many things to do to add additional security in your network.

4. TouchuvGrey

My network is wired, i have a pretty decent AV/Firewall that my cable company provides to high speed customers and of course a router. I have a number of sysyem hardening programs installed and several free anti spyware programs. What i'm really looking for at this point is something along the lines of Ewido or A2 that i can afford to put on 4-5 machines.

Mike

PS i'll happily listen to any suggestions anyone has for more security.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I guess the next question is whether they are all used as everyday machines, like by family, or if only one or two are, and the rest are 'play' machines. Mine is the latter, so I don't worry so much about the play machines (in fact I might be looking to set one up to get infected), although I have an abundance of software licenses from beta testing.

You can get BOClean, though, which allows you to install on up to 5 machines, and does not have a yearly fee. That's probably somewhere in between BOClean and Ewido, although some would argue that it's tied with, or better than, Ewido (as far as scanners go).

6. TouchuvGrey

They are all "every day" machines. Three upstairs in the computer room that only me and my gf use, 1 downstairs that company, kids, and grandkids use. I have a "guest" account on the downstairs machine with almost no privleges ( no downloads or installs ) and have installed a number of things from the excellent link you put in your posts to Dying Sun.

Mike

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Good deal :) There's a couple on there that are free (mainly the last 4 in "Generic Protection") that I forgot to mark as being free, but will update those and add some more soon (maybe today), so keep an eye out. Be sure to check out the "Links" section for some great deals on things like BOClean. Using limited user accounts, or at least DropMyRights, is definitely a free and easy way to go, and can do quite a bit for security, too. Along with what you have, something like BOCLean, an alternative browser and email, and DropMyRights (or prefferably a limited user account) could go a long way.

8. TouchuvGrey

The only circumstances i would use either Internet Explorer or Outlook Express is if the alternative was being forced to watch several hours of reality TV. I was just looking at Ghost Security's website. RegDefend unlimited home license ( all the machines you have in your house ) $39.95 USD and a 15% discount if you become a member. That looks pretty good to me.

Mike:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.