home network question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by gracious, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracious

gracious Registered Member

Hi, I have recently uninstalled my NAV and have downloaded the trial NOD32 which so far is great! I am sure that I will purchase the product but I am wondering about my home network. I had NAV on my other puter without having to purchase another license. Does NOD32 work the same way or do I have to purchase 2 licenses?

Thank you
    Gracious :)

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Gracious, welcome to Wilders. I have moved your thread over to this forum as you have Version 2 of Nod32. In regards to 2 computers having Nod32, you will require 2 licenses.

Hope this helps…

All the best.

Cheers :D

3. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I to wondered this question thanks for clearing it up, to bad they do not allow the multiple home PC's licensing. From my workplace we are allowed to use SAV an McAfee on all our home pc's. This greatly reduces my chances of buying this wonderful product. I just cannot spend that kind of cash on all 3 pc's.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd like to ask here if Eset are going to consider offering a "home network" licence for NOD32. With more people having multiple computers, keeping track of and having to renew multiple individual licences is not an attractive option and some other companies (F-Prot, DiamondCS, Agnitum, Privacy Software Corp) do now either offer special home network licences or allow such usage as standard.

For me this is a make-or-break issue as to whether to consider NOD32 or not (I know some resellers offer twin-packs but I would be looking at a licence covering up to 5 systems). Anyone at Eset care to comment?

5. Paranoid2000

Giving this thread one bump before giving up... ;)

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Other antivirus programs technically require one license per computer it's installed on.

Technically you're supposed to do that with Symantec or whatever...and what's the average cost of the big brand retail shelf products, 55 bucks per machine? NOD32 is only 39 bucks per machine. It's just that older versions of other brands were easily "pirated", or some people snagged a copy of Symantec Corporate Edition from work, which prior to version 9.x was easily installed all the way down the street because it did not require registration. Or their place of employment purchased enough licenses to cover end users who VPNd in from home (which should be the standard practice)

Tracking of individual machines should not be an issue, purchase all at the same time. Or run the Admin Server/mirror...that's what I do from my Small Biz Server at home.

7. Paranoid2000

F-Prot can be installed on up to 5 machines for home use. PSC's BOClean allows unlimited home installations. Sophos (which cater for business rather than home users) allow one home-use install per business install. DiamondCS offer the option of Unlimited home licences (with a typical 40% surcharge).

The real point of a home network licence is flexibility - not having to worry about how many copies you can run or having to purchase an extra licence to go with a new system - and thereby having multiple renewals at different times. Having to purchase a 5-user NOD32 licence is overkill while the 2-user one may not be enough.

Offering a home network licence would allow Eset to address an (increasing) part of the market that many other vendors have ignored so far.

8. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

while the above situations sound nice, they are not the company policy from Eset with NOD32. I can't comment on the way they have chosen to setup their licensing agreement, but you have to live it with, or email Eset directly and make a request for a change.

I honestly think the 2 user, 2-user home and above package start to discount the license costs - when you get to 5 licenses, the list price has dropped almost $9 per license... at 10 users (workstations - not enterprise) you are discounted almost $15 per license.

These deep discounts are (to my view), a the way to accomodate the customers that Eset has gone after.. at least it appears that way to me.

No pricing model can be perfect - email Eset and ask for another package - if enough people ask - perhaps it will happen!

regards

Greg

ps - resellers generally offer everything from 2-25 licenses - the pricing is set by Eset, not the resellers!

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    And how big of a market share has that policy gotten them?

Do they want to gear towards business and savyy users? Or try to break into the "average home user market"....requiring a ten thousand fold increase in their support staff.

10. Paranoid2000

Since it is "savvy users" that are currently more likely to have home networks, this would seem a smart option.

As for market share, I can't comment (though DiamondCS has a virtual monopoly with protection software like Process Guard) but I did choose F-Prot originally because of its flexibile licensing - unfortunately it did not play well with other software on my system so I am now looking for alternatives, and am finding the anti-virus market curiously backward compared to other security software in this respect.

Home users don't want to have to renew multiple licences at different times (which would be the case for individual purchases) and don't want to have to "overspend" to cover their likely needs for the next year (a 5-unit licence for NOD32 at US$150 starts to look very unattractive if you had 2 PCs but wanted to cover for getting 2-3 more over the next year).

Of course, the more likely situation with home users with a casual acquaintance with software licencing would be to simply use a single licence for all their PCs - Eset should be aware of how widespread this is through their update statistics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.