Home Network Disk Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ebarrow, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebarrow

ebarrow Registered Member

I have the world's smallest, most rinky-dink home network. I want to create a disk image of one or two "clients" on my "server". I've installed ATI 9.0 on the laptop I'm using as the server. I have another laptop connected to it with an ethernet crossover cable. For the life of me, and after reading the pdf guide cover to cover, I cannot figure out how to create and store a disk image of the client on the server. ATI will apparently let me create an image of the hard drive on which ATI resides, but not another hard drive connected by a network. Would an offer of a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts help?

Later, Ed

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Does it give an error message? If so, what? Are you doing it within Windows or the bootable CD? Can you copy files across your network to the other machine using Windows explorer? Does your network appear to work properly other than you can't use TI? Are you using the latest build of TI, B2337?

3. ebarrow

Does it give an error message? If so, what? No error message. When I select Entire Disk Contents under Backup Type, I'm given the single choice of Disk 1. Further downstream in the Wizard it becomes evident that Disk 1 is the hard drive ATI is residing on.

Are you doing it within Windows or the bootable CD? Within Windows

Can you copy files across your network to the other machine using Windows explorer? Yes

Does your network appear to work properly other than you can't use TI? Yes, but remember, it's a very primitive network - just an ethernet crossover cable.

Are you using the latest build of TI, B2337? No, I'm using Build 2323. Is there a significant difference between 2337 and 2323?

Thanks for the quick response - Ed

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

If your go further with the wizard you will get a choice of where to save your image and that should show your network share.

Crossover cables can be prone to problems such as data loss etc. You can get a very inexpensive switch, hub, or router and have additional benefits as well.

5. ebarrow

If your go further with the wizard you will get a choice of where to save your image and that should show your network share. It's not an issue of where to save the image. Rather, it seems I am offered no choice about creating the image. That is, I want to create an image of a client laptop connected to the server laptop on which ATI resides, but I can't choose the client disk.

ED

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ed,

The limitation is probably by design. The End User Licence for True Image (standard version) requires that a separate copy be installed on each computer being imaged. So I guess you will need to purchase an additional copy to install on your client laptop or the Server/Corporate Workstation version of True image (costs mega bucks!!).

Regards

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ebarrow,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Menorcaman is quite correct regarding the functionality of Acronis True Image 9.0.

The point is that only Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows have a capability of performing the backup process remotely.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use these products in the respective User's Guides which are available in the Enterprise Documentation section of our web site.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of the product you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

In case you are not interested in performing the backup process remotely and want to create an image of the "client" PC saving it to the shared drive\folder located on your "server" then just install Acronis True Image 9.0 on the "client" PC and perform the desired actions. In case of the system crash you will be able to restore the beforehand created image, since when the computer is booted from Acronis True Image 9.0 Bootable Rescue CD the program allows you to restore the image located on a network drive.

Please also note that according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used (the same applies to Bootable Rescue CD).

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. man0fsteel

man0fsteel Registered Member

My problem is similar to the original posters. On my network, I have a file server that does not have win98SE (just win98 first ed) and it doesn't have USB 2.0 support either.

From what I read Alexy, I cannot back up the file server HD from a client (where Acronis is loaded)?

If so, this is bad news...

Greg

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Greg,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 9.0 and Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows allows you to backup local hard drives only (hard drives which are connected to the machine Acronis True Image is installed on). These Acronis True Image versions does not allow you to create a disk\partition images of a remote machine's hard drive(s).

Please also note that Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows allows you to install a special program called Acronis Agent on a remote computer(s) and then perform the backup process remotely controlling it from one\several main machine(s) using Acronis Management Console. Please read Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guides for more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.