Home 11, missing a lot of files (recovery disk)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by James_patageul, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_patageul

James_patageul Registered Member

Hello people,

i would like to backup myn C: ,so i seen in windows they are 11GB pf data on it)

i reboot, launch the "True image home 11, rescue disk" and (in the choice of partion) tell ma they are only 6GB of data on it !!??

i have do the backup, and they browser inside the .TIB file, and it missing a lot of file

exemple:

on original C:
    on backup
    So how make it work ?

Thx a lot people..

2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

It’s not clear as to how you are viewing those entries. What operating system are you using? The normal way is to Mount the image to view the files. When you are through you can Unmount it.

You may be OK in that if you created the image using normal compression (the default) the resulting size would be approximately 70% of the original. With 11 GB on the drive this would result in an image size of 11GB x 0.7 = 7.7 GB depending on the file type as different files will compress differently. Additionally, two files are not included and they can be quite large. These are ‘pagefile.sys’ and ‘hiberfil.sys’ if you have hibernation enabled. This is by design. If you subtract these values from the 11 GB capacity you get very close to the 6 GB results you are seeing.

What steps did you take to view the images you have displayed? If you are viewing them in Documents and Settings they should be there but some are hidden files. On my system those five folders total only 3 GB.

3. James_patageul

i use Windows XP Pro SP2

so Windows (before i do any backup) tell me there are 11GB of data on partition C: ok then, so i reboot, with the recovery CD (ok ?)

and inside the Rescue CD thing, when i select the C: for backup, he tell me that the are only 6GB used on C: !! (so CD Rescue thing cannot see/read 5GB of data) i think i a bug with the NTFS security inside XP/Vista. so how i can tell to CD rescue to use a admin or system account to access to all 11GB ?! to create a FULL backup

thx a lot

(hope it was more clear)

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I see your point but I don’t believe that there is a problem. I just checked my system in what I believe is the way you were doing it. In Windows my C - drive reports a capacity of 149 GB with 14.2 GB used. If attempting to create a full image using the Rescue Media CD it reports that the image will 9.221 GB. If I look at the past images created they are indeed about 9.6 GB.

I have made many images and they have all restored well, restoring everything. I believe the compression is a factor as well as the files that are not needed and excluded contribute to what you are seeing. I did see something this time that I wasn’t aware of but perhaps I didn’t look deep enough. That is in booting from the Rescue Media CD I don’t see a way to mount an image even though the Help file suggests that it’s possible.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

As Bruce mentioned, the first thing to do is in Windows open up TI 11 and mount the image you have made. This will allow you to use Explorer to check that all your files are actually in the image file.

At least then, you'll know that the image file does have all your info, and we are now dealing with some thing to do only with the rescue CD.

Colin

6. James_patageul

ok i found the error :ouch:

the rescue disk as inverted the C: & D: and of course on the D: i was only (in tha specific folder) only the "moi" folder (i guess it a software how create him)

so i have named my disk in windows like "My OS disk " and "my data disk"
    and event the are switch under true image i can find ie easyer

so my ~bad

thx a lot for your support guy

(and i have tested it with right disk selected and everything work perfectly)

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This should be big banner across the splash screen for ATI:

Always name your disks if you intend to ever use the Restore CD, it is very unlikely to assign drive letters the same as windows -- If you have more than one drive that is the same size and type, you'll never tell them apart without names. Btw, from the Boot CD, the drive names don't show until you highlight drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.