HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Perhaps automaticly, with the setting "Run CCleaner when the computer starts"?
    Perhaps that can interfere with a correct HitmanPro.Alert uninstall?
    Does CCleaner handle the PendingRenameFileOperations registry key?

Of perhaps some other so called registry cleaner does,
    automaticly with closing down Windows or with reboot,
    or by manually running that application before the reboot?

2. tuvalu_tt

tuvalu_tt Registered Member

I did have this HitManPro.Alert uninstall issue, and i do NOT use CCleaner or other registry cleaners.

My OS and Security programs at the time where: Windows 7 SP1 x64.
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus (Webroot Filtering Firefox Extension disabled),
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

i did forget to mention that i have Comodo Firewall 5.12 (Defense+ was in Training mode at that time.)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I had the same problem. I had to do a system restore. Thankfully that did work. I was running Win 8.1 64bit.

4. Stupendous Man

I think it might be helpful if everyone who had the HitManPro.Alert uninstall issue could mention their OS and security setup (and also other tools that could be suspects), in a reply, like tuvalu_tt, or in the signature, like kjdemuth.

5. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Build 75 fixed uninstall and shutdownproblems (NIS 21.2.0.38, W7 64 bits).

6. iceman25

iceman25 Registered Member

hitmanpro alert 2.6.4
    where i can view to logs of the alerts?

7. deugniet

Windows Event Log.

8. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Hey guys, very new to this thread, and I just installed 2.6.4.75 yesterday on my W7 x64 SP1 machine, with the only other security software being ERP and HMP Paid. Everything seems to run fine, without issue.

I do have 2 quick questions (I only read the last 10 or so pages, so I apologize in advance if I missed it) first, does HMPA (is that the correct way to shorten it? lol) update itself automatically, and if so, is it a notification followed by having to do a manual update, or does it update completely by itself? Second, is there am estimated release date on version 3?

Thnaks in advance!

9. Stupendous Man

HitmanPro.Alert stable versions are updated to the next stable versions.
    Stable version 2.0 is planned to be updated to the next stable version, but only after testing the upgrade path (and after fixing the remaining issues with the current version 2.6.4.75, so I guess).
    Semi-stable beta versions are not automaticly updated to the next beta test versions (the 2.5.6.64 beta was only recently automaticly updated to the more or less 'stable' version 2.6.3.74).
    I'm not sure if other beta versions were automaticly updated to other beta test versions.

No release date for HitmanPro.Alert 3 beta was announced, yet.
    I hope there will be a new 2.6.3.xx version first (soon, I hope), fixing the remaining issues concerning 2.6.3.75, among which the Vista issue.

10. DBone

DBone Registered Member

That was a Stupendous reply, Man :D Thanks! :thumb:

11. cooldays

cooldays Registered Member

if you have a file of sensitive data, does hitman or any of its managers or employees actually have access to it, or does anyone else have access to it in transit? It has to verify that it is a benign file....during that time is the data potentially compromises?

12. 93036

93036 Registered Member

It was still there. I used "Unlocker" to rename it, rebooted and deleted it; many thanks!

13. markloman

markloman Developer

I just posted a video on YouTube where our upcoming HitmanPro.Alert 3 is blocking an attack on the RTF zero-day vulnerability in Microsoft Word (CVE-2014-1761):
    http://youtu.be/jQFIRua-6HM

The build of HitmanPro.Alert 3 you see in the video was from last February, that we had we us for the RSA Conference 2014 in San Francisco - over a month ago.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

do we have to uninstall the 2.6 version first to install version 3?thanks alot

15. Stupendous Man

I don't know, I guess Mark or Erik will tell us,
    but, to be clear, there is no version 3 yet.
    On YouTube, Mark said "HitmanPro.Alert 3 will become available in Q2 2014."
    That can be tomorrow, but that can also be only end of June.

By the way, as I said earlier,
    whilst waiting for version 3 beta,
    I hope there will be a new 2.6.3.xx version soon, fixing the remaining issues concerning 2.6.3.75, among which the Vista issue.

16. advantagemicro

advantagemicro Registered Member

We tested on about 15 servers and deployed to about 163 - about 2 days ago. So far we've had about a dozen of the servers lock up and we've removed the program (mostly Windows 2008 R2). We also deployed to about 20 Windows 2003 Servers (I understand not fully supported), which has killed Remote Desktop services on each. The error message thrown on the server when trying to remote into it is "csrss-exe - Unable to Locate Component: This application has failed to start because basesrv was not found." Disabling the service has not helped the issue, only removing it and rebooting.

Some of the affected servers (both the 2003 and unstable 2008 R2 servers) are not running a complete uninstall. Some are locking up during the program uninstallation requiring forced reboots. Others are leaving components behind - I really need to know what the manual removal instructions are.

In short, we're appreciate (as are our clients) at this product's intentions and efforts, but we've created more work for ourselves dealing with the product's unintended consequences than we've spent actually removing and dealing with Cryptolocker.

17. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

Action of HMPA-V3 is very impressive.

I'm asking for a lifetime license for beta testers, cause my remaining lifetime is very limited, and I will not be able to afford yearly costs, as soon as I will be retired.

I'm also looking for a practical license model for resellers, without the hassle of registration, for particular user.
    Just install and enter the key, no more.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thank you Stupendous Man:thumb:

19. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Very sorry to hear of the issues. From the 163 servers a dozen experience problems (thats a lot :( ). Are the ones with the problems used for RDP or heavy file sharing? The other servers running without issues are not used heavily or have different (AV) software installed? I'm trying to find a common denominator.

We have a fix for the csrss RDP issue and will be made available next week. The uninstall lockup problem is a bit harder to track down. I suspect it to be caused by the minifilter driver in hmpalert.sys but it is hard to reproduce.

Are you running an AV on the servers? Maybe there is a clash with a third party minifilter.

To remediate a bad uninstall, we have 2 uninstall tools:

32-bit http://dl.surfright.nl/hmpalert-uninstall.exe
    64-bit http://dl.surfright.nl/hmpalert-uninstall_x64.exe

Alert are just 3 files. See this post here for manual removal.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2357152&postcount=1498

I can also be contacted via erik@surfright.com.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  20. erikloman

erikloman Developer

We have a fix for the Vista issue (csrss related). Release is beginning of next week. I might post a beta today/tomorrow.

21. pimjoosten

pimjoosten Registered Member

Thanks Erik for fixing this issue quickly and keeping us informed!

22. Stupendous Man

Very nice, Erik.
    Good that there are now uninstallers to remediate a bad HitmanPro.Alert uninstall,
    in case normal or even advanced uninstall methods fail and the user doesn't now how to or isn't able to do a manual uninstall.

Also very nice.
    Thank you very much.
    I'll try it as soon as it is available.

23. deugniet

24. Stupendous Man

I was thinking the same thing.
    And if so, I guess there should be mentioned what the normal uninstall procedure is, and that the uninstaller is only to remediate a bad uninstall.

Mentioning the possibility of bad uninstall is not the best publicity, I suppose, but not mentioning that possibility and not offering the uninstallers is probably worse.
    Let's hope the cause for bad uninstall can be found and the uninstallers will no longer be needed, soon.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.