HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Hello Roxl: -)

I got a pop-up from the HMPA Icon in my Task Bar stating an upgrade would be installed upon reboot. I am running a WIN 10 AU 64X OS. My PC did hang on shutting down/restarting but after a hard reboot my PC started with no issues. My HMPA Upgrade was to 3.5.3/362. It appears to not be causing any issues.

My WIn 10 upgrade was from an OEM version of Win 8.1, so I assume it is not the Pro version.Dunno if that accounts for the differences between our experiences with HMPA 562.

2. Roxl

Roxl Registered Member

thanks for your comment.
    i just try it again with the current version 3.5.3.362. Still the same issue. No chance to boot up on a restart, and 'strange enough' on hard reboot win 10 pro boots sometimes...odd.
    Guess i have to wait for a fix.
    thx

3. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I like this part of SM but not everything else...
    New real-time technology that optimizes file organization on both solid state drives (SSD) and traditional hard disk drives (HDD).

Working deep inside the Windows operating system, it minimizes the degree that a new file, or changes to existing files, will be stored inefficiently. By minimizing the random writing of data, AcceleWrite increases overall system performance and largely reduces or eliminates the need to perform secondary file optimization (such as disk defragmentation), saving your system time and energy resources and helping prolong the life of your PC.

4. test

test Registered Member

Sorry guys but this is Alert 3 thread.

Hope this help

5. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

@Dragon1952,

hawki's May 16 post regarding System Mechanic was HMP.A related,
    but your late reply regarding System Mechanic seems to be greatly off-topic in this thread.

As test says:

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hello Erik,

Maybe good idea to add in the release notes "Driver counter-signed by Microsoft" like you did for prerelease 3.5.3 build 562?
    (not everyone uses prerelease versions)

7. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Released version are always using MS counter-signed drivers (otherwise we would break some Windows 10 1607 computers).

Only for beta's we might put out without counter-signature due to time constraints (it takes time for MS to sign them).

Hope this helps.

8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

OK, understood. Thanks.

9. test

test Registered Member

hi, Erik:
    i know that you have other priority (and this is good since Alert is a proactive solution in firts place), but how long before some 'visual'* improvements?

*GUI

:)

(i'm sure infact that if i make a survey, many users would agree with the improvements to which i refer and which i have already expressed on the forum some time ago)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What changes to the GUI would you like to see?

11. test

test Registered Member

A lot, Victek (in first place the ability to check for protected processes even if they have no active windows and so on)...

My english doesn't support me further but i've just written several times about it to erik enclosing images that would explain better my ideas

Another little exemple:
    the field 'benefits and advantages' is useless since user has already installed Alert so he should know well what kind of software is,...

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding the UI I'm still seeing this problem where icons can't be read/displayed. This doesn't occur anywhere else in the OS or applications. Rebuilding the icon cache didn't help. Suggestions appreciated (note that while the screenshot is of build 550 the problem is still occurring in build 561).

HMPA missing icons.png HMPA can't display application icons.png

13. test

test Registered Member

maybe is it due to CryptoPrevent/WFC??

Just asking since i've never bumped into a single issue (with official release at least)

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Don't see how WFC (Windows Firewall Control) would be involved, but I'll try disabling CryptoPrevent and see what happens.

Edit: Disabled CryptoPrevent policies and rebooted (which also installed HMPA build 562); unfortunately the icon problem persists. I run HMPA on two other machines which use the same security software and they don't have this icon issue.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding UI improvements I would like the tray icon to display the status, for instance licensed/unlicensed. Currently HMPA gives no warning when the license expires. I had a few days where it was running unlicensed as a result until I opened the UI for some reason and saw the disabled Exploit Mitigations tile. It would also be helpful if there was some indication when an application does not have all mitigations enabled. There have been occasions where it was necessary to disable a mitigation temporarily, but it's easy to forget afterward. Currently I click through all the protected apps once in a while to make sure everything is enabled, but it would be nice if the app icon just had a flag on it.

16. TheBear

TheBear Registered Member

Just noticed that upon install, Vaccinations is set to passive even though active is recommended. Anyone know why that is?

17. test

test Registered Member

right
    exactly!

So, as you can see, there is A LOT of room for improvement

18. test

test Registered Member

correct, that's the default behaviour

19. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Hi, installed the Alert 353/562 via reboot along with update to Firefox 49.01. Something must have gotten "fixed" somewhere, now one can re-enable DEP mitigations with no instability and both are running well.

A quick question and this is more out of curiosity: is there certain software that will be a "protected app" but not show the colored border? For example, say Dolby and Speccy are protected apps but only Dolby shows the border. Is there something about Speccy's makeup that would prevent this? I don't even know if Speccy should be a protected app to begin with, but you never know. Edited to correct version #.

Screenshot (18).png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  20. guest

guest Guest

With HMP.A 3.1.3 they changed the default for "Vaccination" from active to passive.

21. TheBear

TheBear Registered Member

That I can see. But why did they not make the "recommended" behavior the default behavior. Does anyone know?

22. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

Because unsigned applications can trigger an alert, during install and uninstall. (edited)

23. hotlips69

hotlips69 Registered Member

I'm still getting the weird issue on this latest build b3.5.3.462 if I re-enable LoadLib.

24. hawki

hawki Registered Member

It's been that way as long as I can remember. I have asked myself the same question about that default setting. I'm certain there must be a reason, but I do not know what it is :)

25. Telos

Telos Registered Member

So ... passive should read "recommended"? Since it only takes one "incompatible" program to force a need for passive protection. Or maybe I'm too daft to understand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.