HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Similar situation here. I guess we can just wait until the current license expires, as I expect Surfright and Sophos will honour existing purchases.

Confirmation would be nice though.

2. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

3. cavehomme

cavehomme Registered Member

For several days now we are experiencing frequent BSOD on booting up an Asus PC with Windows 7-64 Ultimate.

I tried to disable the Bad USB detection in HMPA and it seemed to help but still getting occasional BSODs on bootup. Just unintalled HMPA and rebooted 3 times and so far no BSODs. Just wanted to check if this is a known problem.

By the way, HMPA is also installed on a Dell laptop with Win 7 32bit Ultimate (not 64), and no such problems. Both these particular computers are almost identical in config and both have as security MSE and Webroot AV.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I used NitroPDF Reader along with HMPA for a while without issues. Can you say more about how it's not functioning correctly?

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Something that may help is to go into the WSA Identity Shield, PC Security and System Processes sections and make sure that HMPA is "allowed" (not blocked or protected).

6. cavehomme

Thanks for that suggestion, I tried that already.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Have you tried viewing the BSOD dmp files with BlueScreenView?

8. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

Congratz from me too even I can't hide my disappointment in this. I'm glad for you and your progression but somehow I just can't see your great products not to be implemented in Sophos'.

Let's hope the best and fear for the worst. :)

ps. When you can please check few false positive issues I've posted few messages above.

9. cavehomme

Unfortunately I iadvertantly cleaned out all the dump files with Ccleaner.

I feel it's either an issue specifically related to Win7-64 or perhaps a WD USB storage device which was recently reformated and Bitlocker encryption enabled - perhaps just a coincidence but I'll keep an eye on it.

Otherwise I just wanted to hear if there are any other similar issues out there relating to Win 7-64 and bootup BSOD with HMPA.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No issues here on WIn 7x64 Pro, but I have a different setup.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Congrats to Mark and Erik Loman, this is pretty cool news, it will now become easier to develop HMPA and fix conflicts and stuff, because of more manpower. I've read some negative comments on Dutch sites, but I think they are overblown. It was also fun to read this article, I'm quite happy for the Loman brothers, I can imagine this is a dream come true.

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/5595/Digitaa...slijt-hobby-voor-29-miljoen-aan-Britten.dhtml

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

And I'm still waiting.

13. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

@Page42
    Well, I guess probably there's some good reason for not updating existing users automatically, yet.
    Give it some more time.
    If you cannot wait, you can manually update by installing the latest build.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I was attempting to eliminate the guesswork out of the equation, to determine if 343 has been recalled or if others already have it... you know, maybe get an answer from one of the devs to a very simple question. Maybe my copy is corrupt and not updating, who knows?

I can afford to wait for a long time, SM, but again, information and verification being what I am looking for. Mine is not a request to hurry up.

15. Stupendous Man

You're right about that, of course.

16. Dan Schiappa

Dan Schiappa Registered Member

Hi, I’m Dan Schiappa, I head up the Sophos Enduser Security Group. We are really excited to welcome SurfRight and and all of you, the valued SurfRight customers, to Sophos! I wanted to directly address some of the questions raised here – first, we do intend to continue to offer both free tools, HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert, as standalone downloads. As noted here, we have great strength in development and can continue to work with the SurfRight team to enhance these tools and the technology. We also plan to integrate these capabilities into the Sophos portfolio of security solutions for businesses. We will honor any current license agreements you have from SurfRight, and free tools will continue to be free. Sophos has a portfolio of free security tools for home users that we have just extended with a brand new Sophos Home tool (check it out for Mac and PC), and we see the tools from SurfRight as a perfect complement. Product support will continue through the forums, emails and discussion boards you use today, and any transitions we eventually make to Sophos platforms will be transparent, so you’re never left with nowhere to go. The Sophos Community includes free support for home and free tools – take a look here. Thanks for your support of SurfRight, I know you are all fans of the product, as we are at Sophos (or we wouldn't have bought them). My goal is to make you love the products even more and by combining their outstanding tech and innovation with Sophos' outstanding tech and innovation you will have the best products you can find on the market, be it free or paid! Thanks for letting us into the SurfRight family, and we will make you all proud!

17. L10090

L10090 Registered Member

Thank you for this clear statement!

18. Peter2150

Hi Dan

Welcome to Wilders. You are correct some of us are indeed Hitman Pro enthusiasts. Also quite a few of us like to beta test so if you need any help I for one would love to do so.

Pete

19. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, and thank you for explantation.

Would you mind to be more precise on: "we do intend"

Does it mean your are thinking about, or does it mean you will continue to offer HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert.
    Both are not free tools, but 30 days trial, with reduced functionality after trial expired.
    Will you offer paid version in the future, say for the next five years?

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Since you brought up honoring current license agreements, I am currently licensed through March of 2018, then this past Black Friday, I purchased an additional 3PC, 2YR license that I am planning on activating in 2018, to extend my subscription until March of 2020. Is this 2018 activation of a key purchased in 2015 going to work under new ownership?

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi Dan and welcome,

Similarly, my current licence is good through to July 2016 and I have just bought 2 x 2 year licenses taking me through to July 2020. Can we be assured these will be honoured?

Thanks.

22. cavehomme

Sounds great...we'll hold you to it! ;)

23. cavehomme

I've now had the same issue just occur on the second PC, a Dell laptop, which still has HMPA installed on it but in a 32 bit Win 7 environment compared to the Asus with 64bit.

The BSOD occured again on bootup and the common factor between the 2 computers, apart from the same security software, is that this BSOD occurs when a WD USB3 harddrive is connected before startup. If it is connected afted the OS is running fully, then no problems.

I just ran BlueScreenView and the error is reported as occuring with partmgr.sys.

The only thing that I can think that has changed in the past few days is that this USB drive was reformatted and then encrypted with Bitlocker.

So I am left wondering if the BSOD error might be occuring when HMPA encounters at bootup a Bitlocker encrypted device which it can't "read" until Windows is fully loaded.

BadUSB option is disabled.

Or perhaps it's just a conflict that occurs if WRSA is also installed and / or MSE, I have no idea yet, and no time to test now, but if anyone else is aware of a similar conflict I'd love to hear about it, thanks.

24. Peter2150

Geesh. Sandboxie Dejevu.

25. Stupendous Man

I have about the same situation, with licenses till May 2018 and subsequently till May 2020,
    and I have the same question for Dan Schiappa.
    I suppose it will be fine, otherwise Erik and Mark would've told us otherwise, last month, but there's no harm in asking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.