Hitman Pro vs Mamutu

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been trying both Hitman Pro and Mamutu. Each runs without my noticing it.

I took advantage of the freebie offered by COU, and have it on the laptop.

Although I don't feel unsafe I am tempted to buy one or the other. As my sig I am using Norton IS 2011, MBAM, Win Patrol, and the trial of Mamutu on my desktop.

Any suggestions as to the better of the two to add to my desktop? Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

both complements each other nicely. I like that combo :thumb::thumb:

3. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

better of the two hmmmm Hitman pro for you IMO:eek:

4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Isn't this a A vs B thread? Regardless, you are trying to compare apples vs orange. They serve two different purposes. With your current setup you don't need either, but if you insist go with Hitman.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

HMP and yes this sounds like a A VS B thread :rolleyes:

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My impression, subject to error, is that A vs B prohibition applies to AVs, but not other applications. It seems there is always a lot of flame when discussing AVs.

Thanks, All for the comments.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Jerry, you could replace all your current security with Mamutu and Hitman Pro alone, and you'd have nearly as good a setup as you currently have.

If you keep your setup with NIS, MBAM, I'd pick Hitman Pro as it is a solid second opinion.

If you like Mamutu, as it advises of hidden installs, autorun entries, has minimal impact, I think it'd work best say with a more simple AV, such as MSE/Avast. NIS already has the behaviour monitoring.

Some options (excluding win patrol - as it has zero impact):

NIS + MBAM + Hitman Pro

Mamutu + Hitman Pro (scan on startup, and scheduled scan through task manager) = lightest option, your system will fly.

Mamutu + Hitman Pro + MBAM paid

Mamutu + Hitman Pro + MSE/Avast + MBAM on-demand

I'm currently using, for several months, Hitman Pro + Sandboxie + MSE = fast bootup time, solid protection, but might go back to Mamutu + Hitman Pro + simple AV (MSE/Avast).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Saraceno,

I appreciate your comments. You always make sense if my memory serves me correctly.

I do intend to keep my AVIS and MBAM. I like "Scotty" to see what is running, and the ability to delay or prevent start up. I realize there are other ways to do those things, but Win Patrol makes it very easy for me.

I will probably use either without a license if they update, and scan but do not remove.

For my rather conservative use my present set up is all I really need, but both HMP and Mamutu have run well, and I suppose do offer some minor degree of security.
    I am more concerned about my laptop as I sometimes have to use unsecured WIFI. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. Saraceno

If you do install some unknown or questionable files from time to time, no harm in using both with your setup. All depends on how comfortable you feel.

In testing (such as your standard youtube test), Mamutu seems to be able to handle the more severe files that want to damage your system. Many reviews it grabs every file. If it and NIS get along well, I might even look into that setup, especially as I use unsecured wifi from time to time. Mamutu can act similar to Win Patrol, where you click on the icon, load the current processes, and delete/quarantine any process you feel shouldn't be there in the first place. Only the community ratings on alerts make it even more useful.

Or you can set it to paranoid mode in times where you feel it needs it. If it works well, no harm in keeping it. Support from Christian on here is solid, along with the support on the emsisoft forum where they take on suggestions etc.

I found it was the lightest security program I had on my system, ThreatFire seemed to slow opening a new tab in a browser a slight bit, just a delay. Mamutu I've used even for online gaming, no slow downs whatsoever. I tried a few portable browsers, and it alerted on me a few times, program trying to download data from the internet without my knowledge, program tries to install autorun (portable program shouldn't), program tries to install itself in another location.

Not many AVs or security programs I know of would alert you on those. And softpedia still has it for as cheap as chips as they say in parts of the world.

Just make sure you exclude Mamutu and MBAM's processes in NIS, and vice versa for lower system impact.

NIS + Mamutu + MBAM = real time
    Win Patrol = further checks
    MBAM and Hitman Pro for additional scans

Nothing wrong with that. :thumb:

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Sarceno,

Didn't the offer at Softpedia require a commitment to continue it paid when the initial offer was up? I would not like to do that.

I like your recommendations.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Upon payment for Mamutu, you should receive a confirmation email from Cleverbridge. In this email there is a link to cancel the subscription to Mamutu. At first glance, you might think you're canceling the subscription you just payed for, but it is only canceling the automatic renewal. You will then get an email from Cleverbridge confirming that you have canceled the (automatic) subscription. I have done this for several years now, and can confirm that it works.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Cloudcroft.
    Jerry

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

They are totally different products, Hitman Pro is on-demand only and Mamutu is realtime protection only. Anyway I think they are both nice products, if you have licenses, use them both ;)

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    This AM when I started the computer my IE8 would not work. The newest thing I was using was Hitman Pro. I cannot say that was the culprit, but I removed it and now all is well.

However, as stated in another thread, I cannot find it, but when I started the system this afternoon HMP opened.
    Now I don' know how to get rid of it.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

go to msconfig and disable it's service;)

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK, i did go there. Evidently after all it was deleted. It may be that the exe in my DL folder was activated somehow. Anyway it is evidently fixed now. Thanks for the help.

Saraceno, thanks for the information. I got it for 3 years.

Jerry

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good to heard you fixed your isue with hitman pro man:)

18. Saraceno

You can install Hitman Pro again, if you removed it, and go to settings and remove it from performing a start-up scan. I think by default it is set to scan at every start-up.

Otherwise, it should be easy to uninstall. For your interest, when trying various programs, I always use revo uninstaller. Portable version is here:
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/other-downloads.html

It's free. Once you uninstall a program, it performs additional scans to remove all parts of a progra. Hunter mode means you can drag the bulls-eye on an open program and it removes it. Has a ton of features, removes autoruns etc.. :) :thumb:

19. justenough

justenough Registered Member

:thumb: Revo has been indispensable as I try different security software. It finds the files left on the computer that regular uninstall misses. I liked the free version so much that I purchased the Pro.

By the way, Saraceno, I liked your suggestions using Mamutu and HitmanPro. Powerful and lightweight combinations.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Sounds good to me. Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i use pe guard with hitman pro,it's similar to mamutu and hitman pro good idea:D :thumb:

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I may try HMP again, but may wait for the next build.
    Regards,
    Jerry

23. Saraceno

Apologies for the thread hijack, but couple of screenshots when removing Safari with revo uninstaller. Note the number of files that would have normally been left behind.

Revo 2.png
    Revo 3.png Revo 4.png
    Revo 5.png

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks Soraceno,
    I have downloaded The Revo uninstaller, but have no idea how it works. I assume when opened there are choices to make, and your screen shots help.

Regards,
    Jerry

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.