Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

Hi Saraceno, you certainly have a nice way to stimulate interest into an application! I've just tried it and it certainly feels very light and quick. I ran two scans, and on the first one it was interesting to watch it queing up files a la 'Virus Total', it analysed FD PC Rescue, Disktrix, Ad Muncher, and DeepFreeze taking almost 2 minutes to scan. During the second scan there was no attempt to rescan the above mentioned applications which I thought was proof that it is doing a thorough job, scan time just over 1 minute.

How can it scan so quickly, using all those engines? An off topic question to you, your malware tests are done within Shadow Defender, aren't they?

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Osaban, always run problem files with SD on.

What I've found with on-demand files, it will pick up the majority of problem files lying dormant in a folder, wherever I move that folder. So that squashed the theory it was only scanning the windows folder and program files.

With DefenseWall running, I'm impressed with how it analyses not just the DefenseWall .exe, but dw_service.dll and so on as well.

From my understanding, and I usually PM Mark the developer, it uses its own in-house scan engine for the quick system scan, and then anything unknown or suspect is uploaded to the cloud to be scanned by Avira, Nod and so on.

So Avira, Nod, are used only for suspicious or unknown files. Also, if you check the 'early warning scoring' option, you'll start to see more files ranked/determined as suspicious before the cloud analysis begins, without any uploading needed.

The PC Mag article explained it, but that was why HMP detected various trojans on my results screen instantly without those files being uploaded to the 'multi-engine' cloud. I had 'early warning scoring' checked without realising what function it performed.

3. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

Will do, hopefully they get back to me soon:thumb:

4. Saraceno

prairie dog, I know they've been 'busy' with additional users, so hopefully they manage a response shortly.

Osaban, with a wireless connection, you'll notice the following files were detected through that early detection method - probably as my connection was too slow, start/stop, at the time.

HMP d11.jpg

Otherwise you normally get feedback, as to which scanner detected the file.

Edit, tried a scan with early warning scoring on then off. With it on, it may give you the option of deleting additional unknown files. Might have to clarify about the ranking system. See below for example with early warning scoring on. Is it a 7 out of 10 for suspicious?....With it off (which is the default option), this file (which is safe) does not appear.

hmp1111.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You guys are generating a lot of interest in this program. :thumb: I'm asking myself right now if I need it, if it could be an asset to my protection. It sure looks promising. :)

6. prairie dog

Go for it :cool:

7. Saraceno

Page, uses no resources when it finishes a scan and shuts down, and it's free for detection, so no harm in using it once a week/month, or say after an install.

8. prairie dog

I agree. I use it daily since the scans only take a couple minutes.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

prairie dog, how frequently do you scan with MBAM? Do you consider HMP and MBAM as more or less equals?

10. Saraceno

With Avast, prevx and GesWall, you won't need anything else. :thumb:

But if you have a friend with a system that's infected, you could use the 30 day clean-up.

I have a friend who is using free AV, had a few problem installations, used MBAM and Hitman Pro, both identified the files. I just told him to run this program once a week. I know MBAM requires him to put in more effort, to update, then scan, and he hasn't been doing it, so I've got him using Hitman Pro - which 'seems' easier to use. If it continues to find problems, I'll get him to install the paid version (or something like prevx).

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think malwarebytes is very easy to use and it really works:thumb:

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm inclined to agree, but you know how it is, sometimes you see other cool programs and you start wondering if you should try them. I think I am better now security-wise than I have ever been. HMP looks pretty interesting. Thanks, Saraceno.

13. prairie dog

I do a daily scan with both of them at night. Both are only a couple minutes long. Nothing is ever 100%, so it cant hurt:D . I throw an SAS and AVG scan in about once or twice a week

14. prairie dog

I just received a response from Erik Loman asking me to give specifics on the questioned file. So it appears that info@surfright.nl is the route to go in order to report a false positive. At least for now

15. Saraceno

Good stuff. Last name Loman, Hitman Pro, a family business! :)

Any issues, I'll flick an email to that one.

16. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Erik is Mark's brother.

17. prairie dog

Just ran a scan and it looks like they fixed my false positive issue:thumb:

18. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I gave this software a try today. I used Shadow Defender and went into Shadow Mode to test this. It found some very shady files that I had in my documents and it also saw one of my FDISR files as 'suspect'. It summarily deleted the files without asking me. If it weren't for Shadow Mode I would have been screwed.

The detection looks good and it will go on my security thumb drive but it needs a bit more options and configurations.

19. prairie dog

I agree. I would at least like to see a an option to report false positives. For now you can send to info@surfright.nl. They corrected my issue quickly

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

New version 65 released:

Build 65 (2009-06-30)

Improved intelligent cleanup of registry, file and folder references.
    Improved detection and removal of fake/rogue anti-malwares (scareware).
    Improved Scan Cloud scanning capacity.
    Added more rules to Early Warning Scoring (EWS) to help experienced users with zero-day malware.
    Updated the internal whitelist.
    Added Italian language texts to the user interface.
    Updated the user interface with a red banner when malicious software is detected.

21. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I am curious about where exactly Hitman scans. Right now my scan takes just 1 minute to complete.

I read this thread through and from what I can make of it ... the scanning priority is running items. Yet for about the first 5 scans the files were uploaded for analysis files that were not running - files inside My Documents, like a copy of my motherboard driver, a messenger client etc.

I am wondering if there is some auto learning period where its scanning the system completely and them moves onto just focusing on running items? But does it ever revisit scanning the whole drive completely, if this is so.

I am confused about the scanning coverage/patterns you get with Hitman.

Anyone know whats happening?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

22. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Build 66 released (2009-07-10)

•Fixed a problem in handling cloud responses resulting in files not being uploaded.
    •Improved detection and removal of fake/rogue anti-malwares (scareware).
    •Fixed a typo in the Estonian language file.
    •Added Spanish language to the user interface.

23. andyman35

Once it's performed an initial analysis of your system then subsequently it only scans added or modified executable files since there's no need to re-scan anything unchanged,apart from those files in the 'unknown' category.

24. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Andyman. I can see what you mean ... hmm I think the 'peace of mind' option of a full system/file target scan would be of benefit as well. Does seem to be lacking some configuration options if you've got multi drives/partitions. I guess that will be to come.

Just scanned with new update.

Files scanned: 14859
    Total Scan Time: 1m 2s

Speedy!

25. andyman35

I take your point but there's really no need to scan known good files every time,if they're modified by malware in any way,then they'll be scanned.I think that configuration has been kept to a minimum for ease of use,but maybe some more advanced options could be made available.Saraceno seems to be in contact with the developers,perhaps he'll bring it up with them?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.