Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

cool buddy thanks for the screenshots:thumb: and yes i agree you have alot of knowledge about how to remove malware:thumb:

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I'd just like to add,an often overlooked tool that's awesome for removing these type of spyware programs is Revo Uninstaller.It digs out every trace of malware and has a powerful unlocker/process killer built in.;)

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

o yaa, i always use Revo Uninstaller, very good at cleaning up :thumb:

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

For a free tool, Revo uninstaller does come in handy. Hopefully they keep updating and providing a portable version as I've used it many times.

The avz tool, featured here is valuable as well.

For straight-out killing and deleting processes, startup entries, and uninstalling services or activex, emsisoft's hijackfree is an awesome free program.
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/

I use most of the time as my task manager, just to kill processes. But the best part is using its ports viewer, where you can kill and delete processes/malware connecting outbound from your system.

ports.jpg

Found out only recently it has an online analysis feature, where each process is analysed, and given a green (known) or unknown rating. Takes a few minutes but interesting feature nonetheless.

online anlaysis.jpg

Hopefully they implement a setting where it can be minimised to system tray, like winpatrol. :thumb:

5. Saraceno

Also, to uninstall a service which may be running in the background, see example below.

Just used edgeguard solo as an example, not that I'd want to ever uninstall it, but say if it was a rogue program.

edgeguard.jpg

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Revo,AVZ and Hijackfree are all extremely useful tools in the course of disinfection,I'd never be without them ;)

7. Saraceno

8. Saraceno

Maybe I'm bored, or need more sleep, but here are some more screenshots.

Moved the infected file to another folder on c: drive, just to see if it is detected, and it is picked-up.

hmp.jpg

Also, noticed from the youtube video, if you right-click and select 'virus controls', you have a range of options of removing software that might pose a risk.

hmp2.jpg
    hmp3.jpg

I selected to remove a safe program, just to see its removal. Program removed both infected and safe file, and cleared temporary files, notice mb removed.

hmp4.jpg

Come on, someone test! :p ;)

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Interesting thread, thanks for the info.

There is one thing that I do not understand: I have read a couple of times that "there is nothing to install" in order to use Hitman. Yet when I go to the website it is listed as a 6.88mb download. What am I missing? Thank you.

Acadia

10. Saraceno

Acadia, checked my program files folder, and there's one .exe file around 7mb in size, no other data in my appdata folder and so on.

I've scanned my list of services/drivers, and can't seem to find the Hitman Pro driver that was previously installed with the older version.

Also see this thread where new version is mentioned with screenshots:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241851&page=3

Some more screenshots of new version, which now has G-Data as a scanning engine.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

11. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

...and 3.5 is rockin' along with no problems! :D :thumb:

12. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Yes, it seems like an excellent piece of software to clean a highly infected PC - didn't think about that before, I was only considering my own. :D

Anyone tested it on a very infested machine to see how Hitman Pro and its incl. engines get along and clean it (especially if it can be run in safe-mode with networking - thought about adding "with networking" the last second, thinking about its need to have internet connection ;)). :rolleyes:

EDIT: Some engine additions I can think of straight away: SAS, MBAM and Panda Anti-Rootkit. ;)

13. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

I have tested it with several live infections (zero day) and it got them all. I have run many tests, each with the system being infected with between 2 and 7 samples in each instance and it has never failed to clean and rescue the system.

I have compared it against the top AMs (A2, Prevx and Avira etc) and would say it is as good or better than A2 and Avira on the zero day stuff and almost as good / a match for Prevx. For older malware (some of which is not in the wild any more) it is not quite as good as A2 or Avira in some samples, but better than Prevx - (please consider, some of the samples used will not be in circulation or will be exploits which MS has patched now)

I included SAS and MBAM in most of the tests and they performed very badly indeed - consistantly miss most new malware.

Puss

14. Saraceno

Thanks for the testing Retadpuss.

15. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I thought that it used Prevx as part of it tool kit, amongst a number of others, which might explain why it appears to be almost as good as Prevx. Or am I mistaken?

16. Saraceno

17. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Hitman uses ite own engine on the local PC. Prevx is just one of the engines used in the cloud which scans files once uploadrd. Its not the same Prevx engine as used by Prevx 3.

A whitepaper on the Hitman Pro technology is being created at the moment and should be released soon. I will give some detail here tomorrow on thelocal scanning technology.

Puss

18. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

It blue screens with Norton 360 :( Tried it on a friends computer and it just kept BSODing every time I ran a scan :(

19. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Hitman Pro crashes with Antivir Premium, Online Armor (paid), AVG Linkscanner and Sandboxie installed on my Vista Laptop.

20. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

Thanks Retadpuss for the link! Purchased a license for 3.0 and was waiting for 3.5. Please keep us up to date with its progress. Lovin' the v3.5 scan! :thumb:

BTW, running rock solid here on XP Pro, sp3.

21. Baldrick

Ok, thanks for the heads up. But if one is running Prevx 3.0 is there any point of running Hitman Pro...other than adding another layero_O

At that is not to suggest that Prevx is better than HM Pro:D

22. Saraceno

Prevx is real-time, so no need for Hitman Pro.

I'd recommend it if you don't want anything slowing you down, say users who are browse safely and run firefox with noscript and just want a check with an AV say once a week. Or someone running a light setup like just Avast, and want to check if anything got through.

But if it runs ok on your system, you can run the free version every now and then, just for a scan (just like I'm doing while running a-squared).

On my next system, I might change my setup to no real-time AV. Say, run browsers (opera and chrome) and select programs (messenger) sandboxed, a-squared on-demand scanner (to right-click and scan files) that I update each day, and say Hitman Pro (once a week) to analyse running processes. Total memory would be around the 5-6MB mark.

But then again, that might take more effort, I can't complain with real-time protection. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  23. Baldrick

Hi Saraceno

Thanks for the feedback. Am very happy (if not ecstatic) with Prevx 3.0 and so will stick with that in conjunction with KIS...as the combo is almost bullet proof & light.

But am always keeping an eye for better;)

:D

24. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 Registered Member

Hi,
    It is possible to do a scheduled scan with Hitman Pro ?
    I don't find this option (only "Scan computer daily ...").

25. Saraceno

HAL, only scan computer daily is available. Works if you have an internet connection once your system boots up.

As the scan is so quick, I'm guessing, that's why no need for a scheduled scan.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about it. If it sucks, then it sucks. If it works well, then I'm all for it (on-demand program that's low on resources and effective). :)

Screenshot from on-demand thread (classifying files - portable programs, screen savers etc):

hmp111.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.