History Sniffing In the Wild

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Thanks.

3. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

2 easy ways to defend against this...

1. Keep no website history

2. If you do keep website history in firefox enter about:config and edit layout.css.visited_links_enabled to FALSE

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

How to disable history in Google Chrome?

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

6. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

7. lotuseclat79

Wired.com and Huffington Post Amongst List of Privacy-Invading Websites

I protect both my history and cache with a couple of add-ons from Stanford aka safecache and safehistory. There is a post I made explaining how to edit the version so that they both can work in Firefox 3.6.12 - just search for posts by my account name +SafeHistory. The post may be in the Unix forum, but I don't recall, so search the privacy forums, other security issues & news, and the unix forum.

Note: See post #16 in the thread entitled: 'Browser' Fingerprinting for more information.

-- Tom

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hi, tom,

Downloaded from mozilla addons, and did it as described in the first review viz:
    It's ticked enabled in FF preferences but absolutely no history is shown. That is surely not what is intended. ? Also what about the "META-INF" should it be deleted or not ?

Thanks for drawing this add on to my attention. Whether i will use it depends on whether I can find out how it should ideally work. :argh:

(changed line to 3.7.*)

9. lotuseclat79

Hi Ocky,

I assume when you say it is ticked enabled in FF preferences, that you mean that you followed Tools>Add-ons>Extensions>SafeHistory and saw three buttons: Preferences, Disable, Uninstall. Is that correct? If not, where is it ticked enabled?

My Preferences are greyed out, and the other two are selectable, i.e. I am not able to select Preferences, so I would be interested to know what preferences there are.

You indicate no history is shown, but is that from the View>Sidebar>History. I show history with no problem, and I do not know what you mean that no history is shown. Remember, this is about blocking the sniffing of history by way of a website activating javascript to see where you have been, etc., so I am not sure what you mean when you say "no history is shown".

Check out the Stanford website for any documentation they may have. The SafeHistory add-on is here, and the website for SafeCache is here.

-- Tom

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Must be something I am not doing correctly, or is it NoScript ? Prefences are greyed out in Tools>Addons. I meant here..

Preferences.png

History is normally shown in the side panel as per sshot. However with the extension nothing is shown at all. o_O Regards.

History.png

11. inka

inka Registered Member

Don't DL/install the addon from the abine site until/unless you've read the (mostly unfavorable) reviews posted to its addons.mozilla.com page

The consensus of 160 or so reviewers there is to AVOID the abine addon and use instead the "beef TACO" addon (a forked version)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.