History erasers?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Pilli, Jun 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well now here is a strange thing:
    I believe there may be a scam taking place or at least something under-hand apart from the hard sell that is :
    http://www.bestdealss.net/cgi-bin/kherefer.cgi/he/index008.html?MID=khe008&r=New1 $$$

And: http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm Free & probably OK

The first one smells.

BTW A friend asked me if the first was any good I believe he was spammed.

Opinions please. :D As I have spent very little time in this area of security

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

The first one smells real bad. :p

This kind of put me off:

Stop Windows Messenger Pop Ups For Good!
    A $19.95 Value Inlcuded FREE ONLY IF YOU ORDER NOW!

Right. 20 bucks for shutting down a service. :)
    Makes you wonder what you get for the 50 the program sets you back.

Have your friend try MRUBlaster.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Peiter, I run all of JC's tools & that is what I recommended to my friend, at least he had the good sense to smell a baddy before spending his hard earned dosh.
    Just thought as the board is rather quiet it might be nice to start a thread in an area I know little about. :D

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Smart Protector looks interesting.
    I never heard of that program.
    It says on the home page that it has a "restore state".
    There is a "test" button too.

I wonder how it does on garbage type files?
    They don't mention that.

I'll try it and compare it to Super Cleaner. ;)

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Tester - The second one was a random one I googled for :D just to compare facillities.

6. the Tester

Hey Pilli.

I checked out that free program(Free History Eraser)in the second link from your post.

It fits in the "I would pass on this program" category.
    It has an automatic clean and then a button marked "erase".
    If you push the erase button,the program cleans stuff then displays what it erased.
    I prefer to see a display of items to be erased or cleared before they are cleaned.
    It's claim to clear the index.dat files may be true.I didn't keep it long enough to verify that. ;)

MRU Blaster is light years ahead of this program!

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I was looking at various options this morning for similar programmes and came across this . Its really interesting and they are free or donation . Would be interested if anyone knows anything about them and if they are good for one too use (or safe ) http://www.x9000.net/

8. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Hey SPC (may I call you that?) I tried Xen On my other computer a while back (last year sometime. and I found that it cleaned really well but I used a free data recovory tool and recovered a few cookies and what not from the when they was deleted by Xen. You reall have to be careful with Xen though. It's not for the newbie. It might delete somethin you need. But I see it's been update from the last time I used it so It might be a little better. Maybe someone else will come a long and tell you what they think.

Just to save face I use MRU blaster and Eraser and they seem to clean rather good.

9. solarpowered candle

Thanks for the info notageek I downloaded it but it wouldnt work lol ( xen ) proberbly a blessing lol
    Im using Adios . thanks :)

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Tester,
    My friend has dl'd MRU Blaster, Sypware blaster & SG - Hopefully JC will get another donation :D

11. notageek

You're Welcome SPC. Have you tried the tweak tool on that web page you provided?

12. solarpowered candle

I have it sitting on my system and will have a try of it later on today . It looks good . Have you tried it as yet ?

13. notageek

Nope haven't even downloaded it yet. I think I'm going to look at it later on. :) let us know how the tweaking tool works out and what System you're using it on.

14. the Tester

No Problem Pilli.

I was curious and thought it was worth checking out.

Your friend made some good choices. :)

15. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

:)The paper-work on Spycop reckons it's impossible or almost impossibe to erase disks clean. That was my take on it anyway. :rolleyes:

16. notageek

Welcome manOFpeace. Well I'm no expert on this tyupe of matter but I know a little bit about it. I used a few data recovery tools with certain programs that claimed to erase/ wipe data and found that some of the programs lie about wiping/erasing stuff from HD. Now In them tests I tested Eraser and The recovory tools I used couldn't recover a file I erased. But as for you response it's true to a point. The normal kind of recovory tool might not be able to recover a file but the Gov. might have tools that will.

17. Pastork

Pastork Registered Member

I was thinking of giving Eraser 5.6 a try. I see that it will erase 'unused space.' When it erases 'unused space,' does this mean that it erases any previously deleted files?

18. notageek

Just right click on ur recycle bin and choice Erase Recycle Bin and you can erase the stuff in there. I hope that's the answer you was looking for. Oh yeah and if have Eraser it has an option to erase a file in the right click menu. That might come in handy.

19. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

:eek: notageek leave it to the government, they have everything. :mad:
    I don't know much about it either and would be certain you would be expert in comparison to my knowledge.
    I would rather have something to erase some real life history. ;)

20. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

"It's the history eraser button! Don't press it, you fool!"

--Ren Hoek

:D

21. JayK

JayK Poster

Quoted from Eraser helpfile

Normal file deletion is insecure

Your first thought may be that when you delete a file, the data is gone. Not quite, when you delete a file, the operating system does not really remove the file from the disk; it only removes the reference of the file from the file system table. The file remains on the disk as long as another file is created over it, and even after that, it might be possible to recover data by studying the magnetic fields on the disk platter surface. Before the file is overwritten, anyone can easily retrieve it with a disk maintenance or an undelete utility.

You have most likely already insecurely deleted countless amount of files from your drive and every now and then applications create (and insecurely delete) temporary files on your drive containing some possibly sensitive data that you would rather not share with other people. This data remains on your drive until it gets overwritten and can be viewed with simple disk utility.

This is where the erasing of unused disk space comes in handy. The erasing of unused disk space means that all space available on your drive will be overwritten so that data previously saved on it cannot be restored.

*End of quote*

I hope this helps. If need more clarification feel free to ask.

22. Pastork

Pastork Registered Member

Thanks. I already discovered that, if you delete anything you want erased with another good program like System Security Suite, then the erasing of unused space will annihilate it. I downloaded it and read through the entire help file.

It appears to be a very good program. It runs flawlessly on my XP system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.