historical alert, nothing can be done as of now, but I'm still curious

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by chromebuster, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chromebuster

chromebuster Registered Member

Hi folks,
    During the first few months of having Eset NOD32 4.0 on my computer, I was greeted with a few very strange alerts. One of them in particular is what's confusing me the most, and how can I avoid it in the future? I have all this programming documentation on .net in general, C#, and ASP.net. I was greeted one day with the message that NOD32 had found an unknown script virus in a book that had something to do with Network programming in C#. The even more odd thing was that the file it had flagged and then eventually deleted, was a pure text file. Do viruses exist in pure text? I know that there was no hidden extension, for the site I downloaded the file from was one that has many resources and tutorials for the blind, and the one who put it together some years ago, would never put viruses on his site intentionally. Maybe you guys can explain what happened, and how, if in the future, I download the file again, it doesn't get taken by NOD?

Thanks a million,
    Chromebuster

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Could the text file in question have contained a snippet of a scripting language? If so, perhaps the code in question could have performed an activity considered malicious. That it occurred in an ebook document sounds like a potential false positive, but without the virus lab being able to examine the file in question it is difficult to be certain what might have led to the detection.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.