HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

i used to use spysweepers shields which i TTthink is some sort of HIPS protection but it used up way to much resourse. ive heard stuff like spysweeper and counterspy and other so called "shields" use up alot of resourse. is there any HIPs software you can reccomend that protects me without haveing to make my computer crawl?

2. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

Spyware Terminator has free realtime shield protection and HIPS. It's freeware and my favorite program I've ever downloaded. Try it, you might just like it. :D Here is linky: http://www.spywareterminator.com/

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

somebody who's willing enough to post some screenies about ST's HIPS? ... and ShieldProtection?

I forgot how it was ...

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well spy sweeper and counterspy are antispywares not HIPS.

i would recommend spyware terminator as a replacement tho. its much lighter and it does have optional HIPS features.

if u want a pure HIPS, u could try processguard. its very light and not overly complicated.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok thanks for the info. what about defence wall ?

also for whom are HIPsS intended for?

I am normaly a safe surferso do i even need HIPS?

i was thinking about getting avira antivir and outpost or KAV and outpost as my setup. and maybe a low resourse antispyware because as i said spysweepers shields are great if you have a really fast pc but other wise it will make your pc crawl

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its light but not rele an HIPS. its more of a sandbox.

u simply place ur browsers, online games, and p2p apps into the untrusted section and thats it.
    HIPS are for individuals who want more control over their computer.

except for prevx1 (under ABC mode), most HIPS will have quite some amount of alerts and since theres no distinction between malicious and legitmate actions, users are left with the task of interpreting the prompts.
    nope. u can do fine with a firewall, antivirus, and alternative browser (firefox or opera).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

i also find that security apps do tend to make surfing sluggish. Many are happy with this feeling of deep security . Having utilised many of the security apps that are favoured here at wilders over the last few years i tend to favour fewer and fewer balanced with increasing safe surfing. I dont enjoy attempting to understand nor deal with the often confusing array of pop ups while training apps to settle into my pc system. This is fine if you actually do enjoy digging down to the nuts and bolts of things. However it only takes one impatient "allow" and you may be compromised or one frustrated "deny" and one of your security apps is not fully functioning. In order to maintain a Lite pc i have found that the fewer apps the better. The only Hips that I find useful and very lite is "cyberhawk" . It is simple and very rarely is any interaction required. Its new also and constantly being developed and free also. The next version will have antispyware /adware . For a safe surfer its all that most likely would be needed . A1SteakSauces sugestion would deal with both a hips and antispyware and of course its also free . somebody made a bold statement a few months back here that if you run with firefox and thunderbird and Noscript (allowing scripts on a few safe sites only) plus adblock plus and filterset G updater you as a safe surfer can experience clean surfing experiences and virtually dispense with other apps . Well i have been doing this now off and on for some time on this pc and have to agree . having a few apps and becoming comfortable with these is possibly a good way to go regarding safe surfing. I also do not save cookies with firefox ,except for those few sites that i trust , and dump the rest on closing. good luck with your search.

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Not exactly. HIPS is "Host-based Intrusion Prevention System". So, any application works in this manner is HIPS. There are two types of HIPS right now- classical HIPS (with popup windows) and sandbox HIPS (without popup windows). DefenseWall is a sandbox HIPS- type.

9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

yes, with lesser control over child parent processes, in realtime this is far more important then to reboot and having a fresh system ...

Ilya, how far my respect goes for you and your product, it just don't fit my needs ... I want realtime control ... if somethings go bad, I have vmware and FD-Isr

But still, your product could use some realtime protection and if something goes bad => then the reboot to fresh system ... what do you think?

it would make it far more complete imho

10. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

There is realtime notification machanism- it is just not popup windows based.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.