HIPS: Two questions

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Blutarsky, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blutarsky

Blutarsky Registered Member

1) What overhead (CPU/Disk) has your "security package"?

2) How do you cope with slighlty similar features between multiple security programs?

As an example I'm using ZA free. What if installing processguard on the same PC?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Free is a basic firewall that controls inbound and outbound traffic between internet and your computer in order to stop incoming threats and to stop malwares from sending your private info all over the internet.

What ProcessGuard does, you can read here :
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=introduction
    One thing is important : you have to give ProcessGuard the right answers. Are you able to give the right answers ? Personally I can't so I use Prevx1 that doesn't need the right answers from me.

So you can put both on your computer without problems.

3. Blutarsky

Thanks for answering. Does it slow down your PC?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Hard to tell. I have a powerful new computer, some users have an old computer. I didn't notice any slow down on my computer and my CPU is designed for multi-tasking, quite a difference with my previous computer.

I couldn't use ProcessGuard for a long time due to two reasons :
    1. I didn't understand ProcessGuard enough to use it safely and Prevx1 was a better alternative, because it decides for me what is right or wrong.
    2. It wasn't compatible with FirstDefense-ISR, it caused errors during the copy/update function of FD-ISR and that was unacceptable. Any software that causes problems in FD-ISR, puts itself on my blacklist.

I guess you better trial ProcessGuard to see how it works on YOUR computer, no matter what other users tell you. :)

5. Blutarsky

At the same time I'm in the firewall-change phase. Interested in Comodo, Optout or Look'n'Stop. Maybe some of them allready include processguard similarities?

Do Processguard or Prevx include application-firewall like functions (processes opening ports or trying to reach the Internet) ?

If so, trying to keep resources usage as low as possible, I could go for a different appoach, removing ZoneAlarm, installing CHX (I played with that dude on our server and loved it) as a network traffic firewall/packet filter, and installing a "process guard" app. At that point, I would only need a registry guard program.

Conclusion - Possible config:
    AntiVirus: NOD32 (fastest)
    Firewall: CHX (lightest and effective)
    HIPS: Processguard or Prevx (Cpu intesive?)
    Registry guard: o_O??

Go, get it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.