HIPS test question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nosirrah, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

In testing malware it is obvious that step one is frequently to unhook/kill as much security as possible .

Has there ever been a test where the first execution is allowed (mimicking user error) and then denying all following executions/modifications ?

2. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I think in general this is the way matt on remove-malware tests.

He agrees to whatever prompt is initally shown , and then whatever app he would be testing would( hopefully) block the malware.

I remember seeing it work with Geswall.

I don't know if he ever tested a full hips though.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

4. erreale

erreale Registered Member

I 've done two test with Comodo. In the first (link) I used DNSChanger: Defense + naturally detects immediately the trojan, but I give all the permissons to run that Comodo asks to me subsequently, to verify what Defense+ can check and recognize if I give the permissions to DNSChanger, and which malicious behaviours it allows. As you can see in the video, every attemp to get access to the SCM, to the drivers or to the Registry and file writing is denied.

The same test I did with Seneka : (link) I used the same procedure giving successively the requested permissions to Defense+, but it alike bloks Seneka denying to it the possibility to do some malicious action.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.