HIPS Programs and Kerio Features

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tobacco, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Was wondering if you thought i still needed additional programs like PG,RD,OA, even though Kerio has NIPS,HIPS, Application Behavior Blocking.My F-secure Suite also has System Control which allows me to block registry changes.Are Kerio's features good enough or would i still benefit from using additional products.I do not practise safe hex so want to be covered best i can.I've been reading the threads lately on HIPS and find them very interesting and they are why i'm questioning if my current setup is enough.Thanks.

2. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

Doesn't F Secure offer a FREE HIPs program..........seem to recall hearing something about that.....

3. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

This is what was recalled.......did not read the details....

What is F-Secure BlackLight?

F-Secure BlackLight Rootkit Elimination Technology detects objects that are hidden from users and security tools and offers the user an option to remove them. The main purpose is to fight rootkits and all kinds of malware that use rootkits. The F-Secure BlackLight Rootkit Elimination Technology works by examining the system at a deep level. This enables BlackLight to detect objects that are hidden from the user and security software.

http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/cure.shtml

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi tobacco,

Which version of the Kerio firewall are you running?

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Kerio 4.2.2

F-secure- Application & System Control

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i would add regdefend or other registry protection and disable kerio's Application Behavior Blocking in favor of processguard (paid) or appdefend.

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

The budget's tight for the next 2 months.Until then, would any of the free programs give me any better protection then what i have now?.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Tried prevx 1 but completely locked up my system after installing.Don't know if it disagreed with F-secure or Kerio.So just un-installed it.Any thoughts on why it did this?.

10. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

You're not kidding. I tried Prevx1 r just recently and it would lock up probably a minute after booting. And coincidentally we are bothing using Kerio. Hmmm..

11. stubbs100

stubbs100 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

We have found some issues with Prevx1 and the Kerio product running alongside each other and are working to see how to resolve them. We are in contact with Sunbelt support to help try and resolve the issues.

Running multiple security products with similar functionality is going to inevitably lead to system issues. As vendors converge and the protection provided overlaps then the potential for system issues increases as low level locks and hooks compete with each other.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

Prevx Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.