HIPS like program to watch processes and apps

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by moontan, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

many tnx to you Bellgamin,

i feel like OAP gives me a more layered protection than just Geswall by itself.

your help is highly appreciated! :)

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

What ever happened to Malware Defender? It hasn't been on their site for a long time.

3. moontan

look at the bottom of this page:
    -http://www.torchsoft.com/en/download.html-

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

MD was purchased by a new outfit. MD's programmer now works for that outfit. MD's new website is in the Chinese language & is located HERE. On that website, notice that there is a link on the right side, in the blue region, entitled "Free download (English version)" -- that's the link for downloading the latest version of MD.

For reference purposes, that MD download link is THIS.

As of today (11 Oct 2010), the MD5 Hash of latest Malware Defender is 5E3E9959F12326A9AAD7A230059ED047

Version as shown . . .

ScrHunt03 11-Oct-10.gif

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Thanks Moontan, and Bellgamin! I had never noticed that link before. I wonder if they will try to release a 64bit version. My guess would be not anytime soon.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

To do a FULLY secure job, HIPS programs have needed to hook the kernel. With the inception of 64-bit, Microsoft's PatchGuard makes it impossible (thus far) to put any hooks into ring 0 (the kernel).

The HIPS that now state they are viable for use with 64-bit have had to make compromises with their inability to any longer hook the kernel. IMO that makes them less effective for 64-bit than they were for prior versions of Windows.

This is a complex matter. Those who want to dig deeper should *cautiously* raise the question at Defense Wall's forum. (AFAIK, DW's proponent - Ilya - has thus far refused to make the security compromises that would be necessary in order to make DW run on 64-bit).

Sandboxie reluctantly (and after MUCH persuasion) DID make those compromises. I suggest that you do NOT seek to discuss this issue at the Sandboxie forum -- Tzuk (SBIE'S proponent) is a bit testy on this subject. ;)

To read more: check HERE, and HERE.

7. moontan

well,

that was short.
    uninstalled Online Armor.

re-installed Geswall.

~ Snipped as per TOS ~ i hate HIPS, never again.

there, i feel better! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.