Highly utomated antivirus program wanted

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by moody, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moody

moody Registered Member

I'm building a mediaserver to hold my mp3s, ripped DVDs and TV recordings from my HTPC. Most of this server's activity will on my home network but occasionally I'll need it to go outside my network and connect to the Internet at large. I'm going to put this server in a place where I cant easily fit a monitor so once its set up, I'm going to run it remotely with PC Anywhere(The Server's running XP Home so I cant use Remote Desktop).

I wont be logging into it every day or knowing me probably not even every week. I dont want to be streaming media to or from the server and have it come to a halt because the antivirus threw up a dialog box that I cant see because I'm not logged in to the server. So I want to have a antivirus that will automatically update itself and perform scans without my intervention. I'd also like the program to be light on resources. Not so much on memory but on CPU load as I may do quite a bit of transcoding for my HTPC. I was thinking of NOD as it seems from the posts I read abut it here and elsewhere it seems to fit the bill. But I've never used it so I'm open to suggestions of other prorams. Thanks in advance.

2. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

NOD32 would be your best bet. Just set it up to do everything automatically.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not really. As far as i know, NOD32 cannot automatically clean with On-Access module. avast! Pro (and Home with Silent mode), BitDefender and Kaspersky are just few of those which have predefined actions to automate the cleaning.
    I think DrWeb also have this, same Trend Micro. But these two will leave popups on desktop and this isn't good. Those 3 above don't.

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

NOD can clean & delete automatically in both on-acces and on-demand.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

AMON (the resident file monitor) moves newly created infected files to quarantine by default. Also, you can set it to clean cleanable files automatically instead of displaying an alert window. IMON, the HTTP scanner, can be set to automatically terminate connection if a malicous file is being downloaded.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i couldn't do that with EICAR. I mean automatically quarantine it and not show warning. I used HTTPS connection so it passed by IMON...
    I've set AMON to Clean automatically but nothing changed...

As far as i know (from testing and settings itself) NOD32 quarantines only newly created files that got detected by AH. Regular files don't go to quarantine...

7. moody

moody Registered Member

Re: Highly automated antivirus program wanted

Thanks to all for their help. Looks like I'm going with NOD32

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.