High cpu and BOClean

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by SamSpade, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Re-installed BOClean (latest Comodo incarnation) and have found that it runs at high cpu count for 10 or 15+ minutes, cpu at 90-100% for minutes at a time. Is this unusual or typical? I've never had this happen before. My system runs up to 2 GHz and I have 2 Gb of RAM. It occurs while using Firefox browser w/ tabs open (about 20 open at the time), plus T-bird email, and a couple of MSWord documents. Am running nod32 2.7 and Comodo FW 2.4. Google sidebar, ProSecurity and Skype are all on and in my tray. Maybe that sounds like a lot or stuff running, but I do this all the time, and the cpu usually stays at 0-15% except when I open/close things.

|||

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I had that problem with 4.23 not 4.25.
    Have you tried putting your other security apps in BOClean's excluder?
    It might help.

3. SamSpade

Good idea! I have had it running today -- a more normal day, with less documents (word, excel, photo editor, etc.) open and running; the result has been a much quieter day for the cpu. If it acts up again, I'll do as you suggest.

Now I'm reading that BOClean may be a wasted redundency what with my NOD32, Windows Defender, ProSecurity, and Comodo 2.4 firewall. What do you think, and why??

//

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I think use BoClean instead of Windows Defender.

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Well NOD will detect more then virus's and BOClean will detect more then trojan's. NOD will not cover everything that BOClean does and BOClean will not cover everything that NOD does. So I believe they compliment each other. If they don't conflict with each other,why not? They both would be a good part of a layered defense. I would drop Windows Defender though.Not the best choice IMO. The rest of your security look's good. If you don't already have one I would suggest some sort of backup/snapshot/recovery software. It will save you if things ever go horribly wrong.

6. SamSpade

Thanks for your suggestions. No conflicts so far between NOD32 & BOClean. Why don't you like WinDefender? Seems like a nice check on system changes, at least. Does it use more resources than it's worth?

I do make regular backups, also.

|||

7. dNor

dNor Registered Member

With NOD32 + BOClean, Windows Defender doesn't really offer much else, if anything. It's gotten much better than prior releases, but your combination already covers enough that the resouces used by Defender just aren't easily justified. IMO of course.

8. SamSpade

Good point. WinDefndr *is* better than it was a couple of years ago, but it does seem largely redundant.

|||

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Windows Defender has just been found to be the culprit behind all the wide spread reports a couple of weeks ago of computers automatically installing updates and then rebooting spontaneously even when users had automatic updates set on alert and not to install automatically and in some cases had Autoupdates and Bits disabled in Services. Microsoft had insisted it was a dumb user problem and was in no way the fault of Microsoft. Well, today there is proof it was caused by Windows Defender. I would NEVER use it after what I just read. Microsoft has a lot of apologizing and fixing (so it never can happen again) to do.

http://www.computerworld.com/action...ewArticleBasic&articleId=9044058&pageNumber=3

10. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

According to my notes I took earlier this year when I first disabled my services in XP. Windows Defender would not work unless Automatic Updates service was set to start Automatically.

This was on an XP home system with me manually updating all my programs including Windows and Windows Defender. I'm not sure how they were running Defender with WU service off.

@ Mele, your link goes to page three of a MS One Care article o_O

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Are you referring to Windows Defender or anything from Microsoft? ;)
    I thought about installing Windows Defender last year, but when I read that you have to allow MS to "analyze" your PC before you could do that, I said no thanks to that. :mad:

12. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I had no problem with Comodo BoClean regarding cpu and memory....;) ...maybe, because I have Process Tamer that cotrols over use of cpu when it does and also I have O&O CleverCache Pro that manages memory problem. :cool:

13. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

hmm, i put the Comodo Firewall Beta in BOClean's exclude list and BOClean went
    from 35% CPU down to 0-1%....

sweater: i use that Process Tamer program too, works excellent for freeware...i like URL Snooper from that site also..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.